From frag to mini colony... How long?

  • Thread starter Thread starter MikeD88
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

MikeD88

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 31, 2009
Messages
283
Reaction score
20
Location
Syracuse, NY
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long does it take the average chalice frag to grow to become a mini colony? Like if you buy a one eye frag... how long until it grows out to fill a large frag disc? I just bought a 3 eyed bazooka joe frag, and am going to buy a BPC FlameThrower 1 eye frag very soon... if you can, use these chalice types as an example. Thanks for anyone's opinions!
 
+1 i got my watermelon chalice with 2 eyes after about 10 months of it being in my tank i had 8 eyes on it. but it all depends on how fast it makes its self at home, and your water.
 
I have found the Flame Thrower will grow slow. The BJ will grow a bit faster. On the FT it depends on if the eyes are mature or just little ones. My FT took off after the eyes grew out a bit.
 
6 months to a year depending on the conditions, light, how long it takes to acclimate and start growing, ect.
I experienced this after I purchased my first Chalice. You might notice a new eye forming in 6 months in aqua cultured and farmed chalices. After a while I fragged mine out so I could give it better positioning for flow and lighting. I would say for a one eye frag it could be a good couple years before you think about fragging it out.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.7%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 15 27.8%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 33.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.6%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new