From freshwater to marine...

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,
New on this forum and to saltwater, but have been keeping and breeding freshwater fish for many years now. I decided 2019 was the year I was going to try my hand at marine and I can really understand now how different, interesting and captivating it is. I spent/spend a lot of time researching and reading past posts on this forum which have helped tremendously, so thanks for that!

My marine setup: A 1m long, 170L tank (I think this is around 40gal) with about 12 - 13kg of live rock (I got some of the last avaliable live rock from the LFS display tank before LR was banned here). Got enough filtration for now and consistent stable parameters. I don't have space for a sump or protein skimmer yet, my apt is only so big but I do plan on getting a skimmer within the next month or so and try fit it in somewhere.
Current filtration is sunsun 304b canister filter (2000Lph), all the trays being packed with ceramic rings. I also have a 90cm x 10cm x 10xm "tray" that runs across the top of the tank (wet/dry filter) that is also packed with ceramic media.

Salinity is at 33ppt (1.025), currently doing 20% water change weekly.

I got some new purple coralline algae growth on the LR, and loads of interesting life forms coming of out the LR that I didn't realize was there and don't know the names of yet. Too small to photograph.
The current stock is now at
6 red legged hermit crabs
4 blue legged hermit crabs
2 cleaner shrimp
2 ocellerious clownfish

I only have soft corals for now, a bunch of mushrooms and Xenia both of which have been doing splendidly these last few weeks. Especially love the look of the Xenia.

I am in Oman for 3 days, but Ill post some pics as soon as I am back in Dubai.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

tenor.gif

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! We're glad you're here! I'm curious about the range of freshwater fish that you have bred. You may enjoy the challenge of breeding saltwater fish as well! :)

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,
New on this forum and to saltwater, but have been keeping and breeding freshwater fish for many years now. I decided 2019 was the year I was going to try my hand at marine and I can really understand now how different, interesting and captivating it is. I spent/spend a lot of time researching and reading past posts on this forum which have helped tremendously, so thanks for that!

My marine setup: A 1m long, 170L tank (I think this is around 40gal) with about 12 - 13kg of live rock (I got some of the last avaliable live rock from the LFS display tank before LR was banned here). Got enough filtration for now and consistent stable parameters. I don't have space for a sump or protein skimmer yet, my apt is only so big but I do plan on getting a skimmer within the next month or so and try fit it in somewhere.
Current filtration is sunsun 304b canister filter (2000Lph), all the trays being packed with ceramic rings. I also have a 90cm x 10cm x 10xm "tray" that runs across the top of the tank (wet/dry filter) that is also packed with ceramic media.

Salinity is at 33ppt (1.025), currently doing 20% water change weekly.

I got some new purple coralline algae growth on the LR, and loads of interesting life forms coming of out the LR that I didn't realize was there and don't know the names of yet. Too small to photograph.
The current stock is now at
6 red legged hermit crabs
4 blue legged hermit crabs
2 cleaner shrimp
2 ocellerious clownfish

I only have soft corals for now, a bunch of mushrooms and Xenia both of which have been doing splendidly these last few weeks. Especially love the look of the Xenia.

I am in Oman for 3 days, but Ill post some pics as soon as I am back in Dubai.
IMG_20190105_202102_01.gif

@fabutahoun is in your neck of the woods.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 156 61.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 26.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 89 35.2%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.5%
Back