Justin_Casper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One last question:

Did you make the overflows yourself?
Does the return for the smaller tank run inside the overflow?
Very interested.

OP
OP
Takaki1980

Takaki1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One last question:

Did you make the overflows yourself?
Does the return for the smaller tank run inside the overflow?
Very interested.
I used an off-the-shelf overflow pipe.Like this one.
B3763511-5428-44CE-960B-04C3524B92BC.jpeg

The smaller tank has a return pipe running through the drainage pipe.This method is often used in small tanks in Japan.

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tanks, fresh and salt. Why have you chosen to have two tanks for your systems rather than one large one?

My husband and I visited Japan for 3 weeks last summer, didn't make it to Kamakura (we did Tokyo, Naoshima, Kyoto/Osaka/Nara, the Kii Peninsula and Hokkaido). I definitely want to go back for the south, the alps, and just to be back again - it was an amazing trip!

OP
OP
Takaki1980

Takaki1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tanks, fresh and salt. Why have you chosen to have two tanks for your systems rather than one large one?

My husband and I visited Japan for 3 weeks last summer, didn't make it to Kamakura (we did Tokyo, Naoshima, Kyoto/Osaka/Nara, the Kii Peninsula and Hokkaido). I definitely want to go back for the south, the alps, and just to be back again - it was an amazing trip!
Thank you for your comment.There's a reason I separated the tanks.I learned this when I was doing an aquatic tank in freshwater. For example, I thought it would be useful to temporarily separate fish that are not close to each other, or to try creatures that cannot be kept with coral, such as anemones and seahorses, and many other things.I now use the larger ones mainly for the smaller ones, flagging, isolating corals that need to be recuperated, and for new fish that need to be fed.

Kamakura was the capital of Japan in the days slightly before Kyoto.It's considered a small Kyoto, so if you've been to Kyoto, you don't have to go there! More importantly, please go to Okinawa.You'll see amazing coral reefs at some of the best dive sites in the world!

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you having any difficulties with those wild-caught acropora colonies?

OP
OP
Takaki1980

Takaki1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you having any difficulties with those wild-caught acropora colonies?
Wild coral colonies tend to be in more shaded areas than frag corals and often bleaching from the underside or base of the colony. Australian corals are initially fluorescent and beautiful, but it is difficult to maintain this color.In comparison, Indonesian ones are not so beautiful at first, but after a while the colour tends to become more vivid.It takes longer for them to get used to the aquarium environment than the frags, so we can't let our guard down during that time.

OP
OP
Takaki1980

Takaki1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lighting setup:
I'm using two AI Hydra 32HDs for the larger tank lighting.The tanks are Japanese size so I think they are bright enough.
The tank size is 36" wide, 18" deep and 20" high. The water capacity is 48 gallons.

hydra’s setting.
BF27C00F-415C-4F77-B313-F35C6F6DAA7B.png

60F072C1-BB34-4923-BEFC-05D3F4DF75E4.jpeg

Attachments

• AI Preset.zip
    1,021 bytes · Views: 630
OP
OP
Takaki1980

Takaki1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an interesting style of overflow. Great build by the way! Can you provide a link for this?
Thanks for the comment.
Most Japanese style overflow tanks are of this type. To me it was surprising that it's different in the US.
This is called a triple tube overflow system.
Here's a Google search result.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find an explanation in English. I'll explain it in my poor English.

The drainage enters through a cut in the outer pipe and falls through the top of the second pipe.In principle, the outer pipe doesn't have to be there.The reason for this is that the outer pipe prevents clogging and allows the water to drain from the bottom of the tank.
The water returns to the tank through the first inner pipe.This is the most unique point, and this pipe can make one hole in the tank.A special joint called a 'pistol' is needed to insert this innermost pipe into the drainage pipe.

I found an easy to understand images of it and am posting it here.
E44FE522-FE19-4BC5-8D0C-D972EA0F9D0F.jpeg

tippin.turtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the comment.
Most Japanese style overflow tanks are of this type. To me it was surprising that it's different in the US.
This is called a triple tube overflow system.
Here's a Google search result.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find an explanation in English. I'll explain it in my poor English.

The drainage enters through a cut in the outer pipe and falls through the top of the second pipe.In principle, the outer pipe doesn't have to be there.The reason for this is that the outer pipe prevents clogging and allows the water to drain from the bottom of the tank.
The water returns to the tank through the first inner pipe.This is the most unique point, and this pipe can make one hole in the tank.A special joint called a 'pistol' is needed to insert this innermost pipe into the drainage pipe.

I found an easy to understand images of it and am posting it here.
E44FE522-FE19-4BC5-8D0C-D972EA0F9D0F.jpeg
Many thanks! This sheds some light on this unique overflow. I like it a lot!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back