Frozen food - best option BESIDES mysis?

OP
OP
Kiara_Pyrenei

Kiara_Pyrenei

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a variety of packaging but here's a sample. You might try this website https://www.hikari-corp.co.jp/
hikari.JPG
Very odd... it seems that although Hikari operates in both the US and Japan, the products it sells in each are completely different. Here in japan it's all under the name "kyorin" even though the packaging still says Hikari, and these seem to be the only frozen foods they sell.

I swear, why do these things have to be So Difficult hahaha. I love living in Japan but starting this hobby is really making me bemoan the fact that I'm not back in the US lol

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this site, this seems to be the main company making frozen food here, nearly everything I see in the freezers at my local LFSs are from this brand, and this is their selection. Of these options, does anyone know which are suitable for feeding to small saltwater fish like clowns, etc? Which might be best as a "staple" food of sorts?

I would guess that "White Shrimp" on this site would be mysis. Really, I would just get 3 or 4 different types of these foods and feed a variety. They all look pretty good.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Very odd... it seems that although Hikari operates in both the US and Japan, the products it sells in each are completely different. Here in japan it's all under the name "kyorin" even though the packaging still says Hikari, and these seem to be the only frozen foods they sell.

I swear, why do these things have to be So Difficult hahaha. I love living in Japan but starting this hobby is really making me bemoan the fact that I'm not back in the US lol
yes Hikari has Japan and I believe Poland

OP
OP
Kiara_Pyrenei

Kiara_Pyrenei

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would guess that "White Shrimp" on this site would be mysis. Really, I would just get 3 or 4 different types of these foods and feed a variety. They all look pretty good.
Oh, I see. I wasn't sure if certain types were only for freshwater, or only for certain sizes/kinda of fish etc. And I'd heard bad things about adult brine shrimp so I was kinda lost about what to choose haha.

Thanks for the advice!

(And yeah I hadn't been able to figure out what "white shrimp" was, exactly.)

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would bet the white shrimp are mysis. Mysis is just freshwater white shrimp from Canada I believe.

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of seafood would I even be looking for, and what would I need to do to prepare it? I mean its true that nori is easy to find here, at least XD

Tbh i'm also concerned because I have the typical Japanese Tiny Freezer problem so it might be hard to make large batches for long periods XD
This is a really good article. Naturally, adjusting quantities is necessary.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/diy-coral-fish-food-heres-how-i-do-mine.725948/

When I do mine, I make enough for a small ziplock baggie, you know, sandwich size. I use a seafood mix from Trader Joe's. I just take out 4 or 5 shrimp, some scallops, and a few pieces of squid, maybe a handful, and do it up in a blender with some RODI water and nori. That lasts me quite awhile. I feed pellets also. Freezer space is a problem, but a small baggie doesn't take up much room.

I personally think that, just like people, aquarium inhabitants need a wide variety of food to be healthy!

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I see. I wasn't sure if certain types were only for freshwater, or only for certain sizes/kinda of fish etc. And I'd heard bad things about adult brine shrimp so I was kinda lost about what to choose haha.

Thanks for the advice!

(And yeah I hadn't been able to figure out what "white shrimp" was, exactly.)
Size is kind of important, they can't eat it if it won't fit in their mouths:beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: But if it WILL fit, they will try it! If they don't like it, they spit it out.

I think I've heard that adult brine shrimp are not the best as far as nutrition packed, but they have a lot of roughage, maybe the shells? I think some fish like the crunch, like potato chips! Baby brine have the yoke sack, I think that's what makes them good.

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of seafood would I even be looking for, and what would I need to do to prepare it? I mean its true that nori is easy to find here, at least XD

Tbh i'm also concerned because I have the typical Japanese Tiny Freezer problem so it might be hard to make large batches for long periods XD
but freeze it in like a sandwich bag, and flatten it. small...

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to add to the confusion but also depends on what fish you're keeping.
For example, herbivores should ideally have more algae (nori/spirulina/whatever) in their diet.

Since Hikari is sold under that other name in Japan, personally, I'd start there and just pick one/some to fit the type of fish you have. (At least most of the Hikari packs I've seen have "sample" fish pictures on them of the types of fish they're intended for, like carnivores vs herbivores, etc)

I take it there's no saltwater fish store near you that you could visit and talk to?

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish eggs - the kind that come in blister packs from Hikari or SF Bay

Fish love them and they're loaded with fat and other nutritional content.

Barncat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bloodworms
I'm obviously not the OP but I'm new and learning too and isn't there a nutritional issue with bloodworms?

Maybe for the seafood DIY food option perhaps a seafood store would be able to sell small amounts of different things? My impression is that they're a bit like delis. (I don't know for sure though as I'm a vegetarian, my only experience is buying deli cheese and I have so far never been to Japan.)

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just go to the local Asian market and get the mixed bag of whatever (doesn’t matter)…
I ask the person to translate for me to make sure the food is raw (sometimes just the mussels are cooked)
Blend-bag-freeze …

I get that space is limited , et but in my time in Asia, finding suitable seafood wasn’t even close to a problem…literally almost anything uncooked works…

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm obviously not the OP but I'm new and learning too and isn't there a nutritional issue with bloodworms?

Maybe for the seafood DIY food option perhaps a seafood store would be able to sell small amounts of different things? My impression is that they're a bit like delis. (I don't know for sure though as I'm a vegetarian, my only experience is buying deli cheese and I have so far never been to Japan.)
There could be a nutritional issue, I just know my fish love them

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back