My Very First Tank - 25g Peninsula Nano Build

Kiara_Pyrenei

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am entirely new to the reefkeeping hobby, starting up my very first tank! I've been trawling the forums, watching a ton of youtube videos and doing a lot of research and finally pulled the trigger, my new tank was delivered yesterday! It's been a little bit of a challenge because I live in Japan, so finding equipment and supplies has been tougher (and more expensive, yikes).

P6140021.JPG

I chose the Waterbox 25 peninsula, because I want to be able to be able to put the cabinet right up against the wall so I can do more serious earthquake-proofing. I don't want this tank going anywhere! I also have plans for creating a backlit background for the tank, so I wanted the clear back.

I had originally bought a simple 40g breeder, but there were some concerns expressed at my LFS about putting that weight in a 4th floor apartment, and I didn't wanna risk it, so I downsized to the 25g. And an AIO should be easier and sleeker anyways!

Purchased equipment:

- Sicce 1.0 return pump
- Tunze DOC 9001 nano skimmer
- Cobalt neo-therm pro 150W heater
- Noopsyche K7 Mini light
- ReefBreeders Prism ATO
- Intank chamber 1 media basket

I'll also be adding a bit more equipment over time as needed like an Inkbird controller and a powerhead, as well as setting up a quarantine tank.

Planned Stock List:

- Clownfish x2
- Banggai Cardinalfish
- Firefish
- Randall's Goby
- Orchid Dottyback

- Pom Pom crabs x2
- Randall's pistol shrimp
- Blood Red Fire shrimp
- Urchin (pincushion or tuxedo)
- Tridacna clam
- Conch (maybe?)
(+ hermits and snails)

Can you tell I love inverts???? Also, I know this stock list is pretty heavy, but I plan on adding things VERY slowly, so I would only be looking at completing this list over a year from now, and probably more like 2 years, when my tank is well established. As for corals, I am currently only really planning on softies and LPS corals, but I am trying to leave my options open to have SPS in the future.

I'm going to post in depth updates at every stage to track my progress, and also so that people can yell at me if I'm going to make some sort of horrible newbie mistake. So, feel free to comment on my equipment choices or stocking plans! Particularly, I have a couple questions in mind rn:

- What filter media would you recommend for this tank? I was planning on filter floss, a filter sponge, and Purigen in the three parts of chamber 1, with the skimmer and Seachem Matrix in chamber 2.
- How much sponge is okay to put in, should I just fill the little chamber?
- What order would be best to add my planned fish? I've heard most peaceful first and aggressive last, but also I've heard clownfish first which seems contradictory.

This is going to be my forever tank, since it's the biggest one i can put in my apartment and I don't have space for any additional tanks. So I'm doing my best!

Last edited:

Rocktron1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there
I have same tank, and live in Perth where we get temps well over 40C during summer. I don't use a chiller , just leave ceiling fan on during a heat wave, and tank temp stays stable so you will be right with max temps of approx 32c

In 1st chamber, I changed filter sock like you to the media basket, with filter floss on top, course sponge cut into circle shape next, with small bag of carbon under that.
2nd chamber skimmer at top, then 1 piece of the black bio sponge that comes with the tank across entire length of chamber, then seachem matrix under that in a bag
3rd chamber return pump and my small heater( a lot of people don't like heater in last chamber for obvious reasons due to water level but it suits me). I have a ato I haven't set up yet

Your setup is great, just take your time, complete the cycle 1st then slowly add over time. I personally wouldn't go that many fish that you have planned in this size tank but I'm sure you'll change your mind as you slowly add stuff

Enjoy the ride and post pics as you progress

OP
OP
Kiara_Pyrenei

Kiara_Pyrenei

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there
I have same tank, and live in Perth where we get temps well over 40C during summer. I don't use a chiller , just leave ceiling fan on during a heat wave, and tank temp stays stable so you will be right with max temps of approx 32c

In 1st chamber, I changed filter sock like you to the media basket, with filter floss on top, course sponge cut into circle shape next, with small bag of carbon under that.
2nd chamber skimmer at top, then 1 piece of the black bio sponge that comes with the tank across entire length of chamber, then seachem matrix under that in a bag
3rd chamber return pump and my small heater( a lot of people don't like heater in last chamber for obvious reasons due to water level but it suits me). I have a ato I haven't set up yet

Your setup is great, just take your time, complete the cycle 1st then slowly add over time. I personally wouldn't go that many fish that you have planned in this size tank but I'm sure you'll change your mind as you slowly add stuff

Enjoy the ride and post pics as you progress
Thanks so much for the info!

I am worried about temp since here in Japan we dont have AC in many rooms, including the room where my tank will be, but I'm going to monitor the room temp and tank temp this summer when theres no fish in it to see if I can get away with just a fan next year.

Quick question: what heater do you use? I have one but it's actually pretty long, so even though its slim i have to sort of cram it in against my filter media in chamber 2 which doesn't seem ideal. I've been looking for a shorter one.

OP
OP
Kiara_Pyrenei

Kiara_Pyrenei

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oase heatup 100 . It's only 245mm high so stays well under water level

Tbh i'd tried to stay away from glass heaters since people had said they could shatter etc, but I might just have to get one since theres so many shorter options in glass that will fit better. Maybe I can use the cobalt to heat up my saltwater mix bucket instead haha

OP
OP
Kiara_Pyrenei

Kiara_Pyrenei

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Progress being made! Leak tested for 48 hours, just waiting on the stand and I need to go buy a leveling mat.
P6170022.JPG

Emptying the tank after leak testing was a bit of an adventure, I discovered the stock pump was an EU plug, and the Sicce pump was a US plug that didn't fit in my current Japanese outlet, so I bought a cheap utility pump, which I then promptly used to cause a minor flood in my kitchen by spacing out for just a little too long. Off to a good start.

My assistant S'mores can be seen here watching and judging me, and also pouting about me emptying the new big water bowl, which was clearly For Her. Her favorite hobby the past couple days has been putting her paw on the mesh lid until it hits the water and then licking her paw. She'd better cut that out when theres salt water in there!

Last edited:

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like you have a good plan and a lovely first tank to work with. I have not used that tank, so specifics on that model I cannot help with.
However, I began my reef journey with a 29g AIO and still at it 20 years later.

Go slowly. Personally, I would begin with live rock. I think in Japan you should be able to come by it easier, but maybe not. This will speed up the cycle as if you start with live rock you should not have much of a cycle (only some die off to let settle out).

Anyway, look forward to seeing the tank come alive. And your helper is adorable. I love babydolls/ragdolls, even if I am a dog person. They are close to dogs usually anyway.

OP
OP
Kiara_Pyrenei

Kiara_Pyrenei

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like you have a good plan and a lovely first tank to work with. I have not used that tank, so specifics on that model I cannot help with.
However, I began my reef journey with a 29g AIO and still at it 20 years later.

Go slowly. Personally, I would begin with live rock. I think in Japan you should be able to come by it easier, but maybe not. This will speed up the cycle as if you start with live rock you should not have much of a cycle (only some die off to let settle out).

Anyway, look forward to seeing the tank come alive. And your helper is adorable. I love babydolls/ragdolls, even if I am a dog person. They are close to dogs usually anyway.
Thanks!!! Tbh, I'm quite science-minded, so for my part I was impressed with the biome and cycling experiment that BRS investigates did, and live rock actually didn't perform the best in that one. So I'm following their recommendations for my cycle: dry rock, ocean direct sand, bottled bacteria, and copepods added before turning the lights on. (If I can find some dang copepods in this country ahaha.)

Because of the heat and lack of A/C I can't add fish until like, september or so anyways so theres no point in me trying to make the cycle go faster haha. I'm more concerned about developing a robust biome and avoiding pests.

And yeah Ragdolls are the best cats lol. I'm planning on giving S'mores a nice little perch right next to my tank so that she can watch Cat TV, since she played very nicely with my freshwater tank (just sat on her cat tower and looked occasionally) and I'm not too concerned about her trying anything lol. But so far the new rocks and tank on the floor have been too fascinating for her to pass up, i've found her sleeping in the tank a couple times. I'll need to clean the cat hair out of it before i can use it properly lol

OP
OP
Kiara_Pyrenei

Kiara_Pyrenei

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There should have been a levelling Matt in the box the tank came with? Mine had it and it says it on the packaging
Oh really??? You're right, now that I look, it says its included.... was yours separate or was it like, part of the bottom of the tank itself? I didn't SEE anything separate in the package...

miso

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh really??? You're right, now that I look, it says its included.... was yours separate or was it like, part of the bottom of the tank itself? I didn't SEE anything separate in the package...
Hey great thread so far! I also just got into the the hobby sleuth the exact same tank. The leveling mat comes preglued to the bottom. Also for a heater I went with the fluval e100 heated has a digital display and 5 year warranty

Last edited:

miso

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also wanting to add either a media basket or just a cup for filter floss, did you throw out the included "bioballs"

Last edited:

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GUESS WHO ******* CRACKED THEIR BRAND NEW TANK
Harry Potter Whatever GIF by Harry Potter And The Cursed Child

Off to just, a spectacular start here. NOT GIVING UP THOUGH.
uhhhhhhhhhhhh howd you do that? I have the exact tank and dropped my entire rock scape about a foot onto the bottom glass.

OP
OP
Kiara_Pyrenei

Kiara_Pyrenei

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooh no how did it happen? You could maybe contact waterbox support
I contacted the store I got it from, so we'll see. BASICALLY I put down some double sided tape under it when putting it on the stand for some extra earthquake proofing to prevent sliding, discovered I'd put it on BACKWARDS LIKE AN IDIOT, and then found out that the tape worked way better than planned and i couldn't get it off. While trying to get it loose I cracked the corner slightly, and a quick leak test showed that YUP it's busted.

My own stupid fault, but dang this blows.

miso

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I contacted the store I got it from, so we'll see. BASICALLY I put down some double sided tape under it when putting it on the stand for some extra earthquake proofing to prevent sliding, discovered I'd put it on BACKWARDS LIKE AN IDIOT, and then found out that the tape worked way better than planned and i couldn't get it off. While trying to get it loose I cracked the corner slightly, and a quick leak test showed that YUP it's busted.

My own stupid fault, but dang this blows.
Not sure it helps much now, and also I know RedSea does have a issue with their seams popping; but they specifically make their tanks for Japan with a reinforced top for earthquakes if that's an option for you. I'm sorry to hear about your tank though as I know they are not cheap and hope things work out for you.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 136 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back