LeeB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would like people's thoughts on this.
I have been keeping a mixed reef tank for years now, and have always fed my fish with mainly frozen foods! Last night I fed them with frozen krill, and to my surprise a white feather was introduced into my tank via the frozen krill. The very next day my fish started to die!!! First to go was my wreck fish who is a greedy bugger! Anyway to make it short, I have lost All my fish Barr 2. All of my corals are doing great. All water parameters are fine. Has anyone had anything similar happen to them? I'm at a loss to know what has happened? Absolutely devastated!

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possible contamination of the food source with something??? Very bizarre...and upsetting to lose so many so fast! I'm sure you have already trashed that food source! I'd be looking at some other things just to be sure that the new food isn't just a coincidence throwing you off the scent of the real cuprit.

I'd check for stray voltage in the tank...check to ensure no one was spraying air fresheners around the tank or no one put a new air freshener in an electrical outlet in the same room, etc...

Sorry to hear this!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

LeeB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possible contamination of the food source with something??? Very bizarre...and upsetting to lose so many so fast! I'm sure you have already trashed that food source! I'd be looking at some other things just to be sure that the new food isn't just a coincidence throwing you off the scent of the real cuprit.

I'd check for stray voltage in the tank...check to ensure no one was spraying air fresheners around the tank or no one put a new air freshener in an electrical outlet in the same room, etc...

Sorry to hear this!
Thanks for the reply. To the best of my knowledge, I have ruled everything else out. It's really putting me off using frozen foods from now on!

Upvote 0

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. To the best of my knowledge, I have ruled everything else out. It's really putting me off using frozen foods from now on!
Definitely change frozen food brands! Obviously the quality control isn't very good with that food manufacturer! I haven't had any issues with frozen foods so far when sticking with the major brand names. You should also reach out to the food manufacturer as well.

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back