Frustration is building

Bubbagump69

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 21, 2020
Messages
30
Reaction score
35
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some more advice. I recently set up a QT after my last failing in my main tank. I have a ten gallon tank that I am using, plus using water from the display tank. I did my acclimation on my three mocha clowns and put them in the QT. I waited a day (I think) and then added Coppersafe. Within a week, two of the clowns died. What am I doing wrong? I keep the light out for most of the day to keep down stress. There are clean, new PVC elbows for hiding, there is no substrate, I change a gallon of water once a week. Oh, I drain and clean the tank when there are no fish in QT. Help?
 
Do you cycle the qt fully? Was there any ammonia? Also did you seed the tank with any sponges or media, using water for DT would not be enough.
 
You have to cycle the tank. A 10 gallon is small and NH3/4 is going to build up fast.

Use a sponge filter and dump a large bottle of biospira in with some ammonia chloride (without fish in tank) after a week its ready for fish and will be able to support a heavy bioload.
 
Now see? I was told that if I used water from the DT and my filter sponge was soaked in the tank water that I wouldn't need to cycle. Up until recently, I have never done QT before introduction. This is not only frustrating, but getting expensive.
 
I would not use water out of your system. I cycled my quarantine and always keep it running.
But, what happens when you use copper? Don't you have to start it fresh each time?
 
Either have to cycle the tank, or do enough ongoing water changes that it doesn't get a chance to cycle.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 21.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 30 30.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 9.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 13 13.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new