Fu Manchu Tank Mates

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have experience keeping Fu Manchu Lions with smaller predator fish? I have a few Leopard Toby Puffers that I anticipated putting with one in a 34 Hex, but the puffers are a bit on the small side.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leopard tobies only get about 3.5 inches at max, would that be too small if the fu manchu gets to full size?

No the body shape of the leopard is round and robust. With lions, it's about the size of the mouth, slender fish the same size would be a risk. Expect the fu to get to about 5", maybe a bit over. My largest one was about 5.5" and she was a beast, she could put down a full grown sixline and fish with that body type. Just make sure the leopards are just as large as the fu at the start.

OP
OP
Steve and his Animals

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No the body shape of the leopard is round and robust. With lions, it's about the size of the mouth, slender fish the same size would be a risk. Expect the fu to get to about 5", maybe a bit over. My largest one was about 5.5" and she was a beast, she could put down a full grown sixline and fish with that body type. Just make sure the leopards are just as large as the fu at the start.
At the size they're at now (larger of the three is about 2.5 inch) they seem a lot slimmer than most tobies, but I'll take your word for it.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the size they're at now (larger of the three is about 2.5 inch) they seem a lot slimmer than most tobies, but I'll take your word for it.

Thats pretty small, I doubt if you will get a fu that small. New additions are always riskier, their hunting spirit is still strong. Sizing is paramount and I've seen new additions eat fish they were not suppose to. Most of the time fu's come in around 3" or so, those tobies need to be close to full grown and robust.

OP
OP
Steve and his Animals

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats pretty small, I doubt if you will get a fu that small. New additions are always riskier, their hunting spirit is still strong. Sizing is paramount and I've seen new additions eat fish they were not suppose to. Most of the time fu's come in around 3" or so, those tobies need to be close to full grown and robust.
Yeah, I figured that much. Worst case scenario, after my QT for the fu's, they can go into my 90g reef. Nothing in there that is small enough to eat/can't be removed (large dottyback and tailspot blenny).

I've read (from your posts mainly) that copper is a no-no with scorpions and lions, it that also the case with fu's? Are there any copper meds/methods/dosages that work without killing the fish that you have found? I just want to safeguard against ich mainly with my current QT inhabitants. I could also set up a 10 gallon with a seasoned sponge filter.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I figured that much. Worst case scenario, after my QT for the fu's, they can go into my 90g reef. Nothing in there that is small enough to eat/can't be removed (large dottyback and tailspot blenny).

I've read (from your posts mainly) that copper is a no-no with scorpions and lions, it that also the case with fu's? Are there any copper meds/methods/dosages that work without killing the fish that you have found? I just want to safeguard against ich mainly with my current QT inhabitants. I could also set up a 10 gallon with a seasoned sponge filter.

Fu's are extremely sensitive to copper, while I suggest never getting a lion from sources running copper, this is a death sentence for a fu. Healthy lions are very resistant to protozoan diseases, they have a special cuticle layer and even shed their skin, which makes it very difficult for a protozoan to attach. A healthy lion kept in an observation for a month will be a very unlikely suspect to transport a protozoan disease to your dt. The only meds I recommend for lions is in regard of internal parasites; prazi pro, general cure, seachem metro, and fritz paraguard I consider safe, There is a strong argument that prophylactic copper treatment is more harmful than good for any fish.

OP
OP
Steve and his Animals

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fu's are extremely sensitive to copper, while I suggest never getting a lion from sources running copper, this is a death sentence for a fu. Healthy lions are very resistant to protozoan diseases, they have a special cuticle layer and even shed their skin, which makes it very difficult for a protozoan to attach. A healthy lion kept in an observation for a month will be a very unlikely suspect to transport a protozoan disease to your dt. The only meds I recommend for lions is in regard of internal parasites; prazi pro, general cure, seachem metro, and fritz paraguard I consider safe, There is a strong argument that prophylactic copper treatment is more harmful than good for any fish.
Makes sense. Sounds similar to sand-diving wrasses and clowns having their unique mucus layers protecting them (to a point). The place I'm getting them from said they've had the two I'm getting for over a month, but I'm unaware if they run any copper in their tanks. Violet Aquarium, ever had experience with them?

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 54 74.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 12.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 8 11.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back