Fuge/Copepods/Phytoplankton advice

Codeblack88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, i am going away to college in August and I will be passing my tank to my dad. He is big into coral, clams, and gobies so I want to prep the tank to that he can hold any fish/coral he wants (within reason). So I want to add a refugium to my tank as well as create a population of phytoplankton (Nannochloropsis) and copepods (Tigriopus Californicus) so that the tank is fully prepped for him. I have a few questions about these topics.

1) How much lighting is required for a refugium to be successful (I am only thinking of putting chaeto)?
2) Do protein skimmers/filter floss damage the phyto (Nannochloropsis) and copepod (Tigriopus Californicus) populations?
3) Does phyto ever become self sustaining or do you always need to add new doses to keep the pop going?
4) Aside from normal feeding of the fish, is there anything else that needs to be dosed or added via media bags in the sump to keep both the phyto and copepod populations running?

Tank specs
32 gal biocube
Coralife protein skimmer
sand bed with live rock
atm its a FOWLR tank but am going to trade out my nonreef safes when time comes

Thank you for any help you are able to offer!

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) How much lighting is required for a refugium to be successful (I am only thinking of putting chaeto)?
A grow light LED bulb from the hardware store will work. Skys the limit.
2) Do protein skimmers/filter floss damage the phyto (Nannochloropsis) and copepod (Tigriopus Californicus) populations?
Yes

3) Does phyto ever become self sustaining or do you always need to add new doses to keep the pop going?
Not in most of our reef tank systems

4) Aside from normal feeding of the fish, is there anything else that needs to be dosed or added via media bags in the sump to keep both the phyto and copepod populations running?

Phyto will not live. Pods love film algae, so a dirty sump is good for them.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he likes clams he may enjoy culturing phyto. It's pretty easy. I use a 2.5g drink dispenser

OP
OP
Codeblack88

Codeblack88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A grow light LED bulb from the hardware store will work. Skys the limit.

Yes

Not in most of our reef tank systems

Phyto will not live. Pods love film algae, so a dirty sump is good for them.
For the skimmer... is it best just to remove it?

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. That species of phytoplankton will never be able to sustain itself. You could always buy our Phyto-Feast Live, routinely, to feed out. It has 6 different species of microalgae and is used by many hobbyists that don't want to grow live algae.

OP
OP
Codeblack88

Codeblack88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. That species of phytoplankton will never be able to sustain itself. You could always buy our Phyto-Feast Live, routinely, to feed out. It has 6 different species of microalgae and is used by many hobbyists that don't want to grow live algae.
for the time being I am culturing a blend myself to feed my copepods until i feel the population is strong enuff to feed a mandarin

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back