Fuge Return, does it matter where in sump

Magoo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished plumbing a 50 gallon Fuge and have the Fuge overflow returning to the final chamber of the sump where my DT return pump is. I did this thinking it will give the pods the best chance to make it to the DT a floor up and 15’ away.

I have a independent pump feeding the Fuge from an unused portion of the sump before the return pump chamber.

Everything is still dry with this build.

Now that I’m thinking about it am I going to have a plumbing issue with returning Fuge water to the end chamber instead of the any of the earlier chambers?

My th0ught is: as long as my DT return pump is more GPH than my Fuge pump, which it will be, I’ll still have flow over the final baffle and keep the skimmer section constant water level.

Thoughts?

(The Fuge return is the vertical black pipe on the right. The spa_flex will be connected to the DT return pump. (Whenever my danged cor-20 comes off backorder))
636804CF-C0D6-42AC-BC38-D828E7306115.jpeg

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not simplify things and feed off the return pump via a manifold and you are done, as I can surmise from the plumbing picture there? I know you have a vast section of unused sump area but relatively less power is needed and less heat transfer and as long as the fuge pump returns to the same chamber, there is no issue. I know that is probably not what you want but it is an option unless you would have to up-size your DT main return pump...Then I can understand the desire to use that fuge pump that I see.

OP
OP
M

Magoo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The extra pump actually runs a dedicated manifold to the Fuge and some reactors. Possibly a frag tank in the future.

Plus I wanted to minimize head loss to the DT and don’t mind the heat transfer in the cold basement.

I replumbed to the same section of the tank on the opposite side. I assume the water flow to the DT return pump will get enough of those Pods.

Thx for feedback

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Then the next question is, do you plan on installing an ATO and where will you place the level sensors? I'm thinking that you will not have single space that will register water loss as the center compartment will be filling the last chamber at a level rate from the fuge as if there was no last baffle. Essentially, the last two chambers will fluctuate in level with water evaporation instead of just the last chamber. If that fish design cut-out in the #2 baffle is, in fact, a cutout, then essentially the last three chambers will fluctuate in level with evaporation otherwise just the last two.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.7%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 87 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back