Full beginner in the reef tank hobby : Questions

Enzoo92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi my name is Enzo, iam french ( so sorry for my very bad English)
Iam completely beginner the in saltwater and recifal tank.
I have some experience in freshwater tanks but I consider myself as a real beginner in the world of reef aquarium hobby.

Since very young iam fascinated by saltwater aquarium and I decide to take the plunge.
I dispose of a tank with dimensions are 70×70x40.
I can't make a decantation ( I don't know if is the good word in English, I mean a second tank under the principal aquarium for install the skimmer ect.

It is possible to install all the materials in the tank ( skimmer,pump ect ) ?

Can you recommend me about the right equipment ( lights, skimmer, pump ect) for the dimension of my tank?

I just would like to keep easy lsp corals and easy fish to care.

Tank you for reading me and sorry for my English

Calebd91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The second tank under the main is what we would call a sump, if your tank is drilled or able to be drilled running a sump is the preferred method, as you can put your mechanical filtration, skimmer, refugium, return pump, heaters, etc in it.
Although many have had good success with hang on the back equipment.
This is the right place for info, most any questions you have can be answered or have already been answered if you dig around enough!
congrats on taking the dive into reefing, it can be overwhelming at first but gets easier with time. I’m still learning everyday

OP
OP
Enzoo92

Enzoo92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Merci d'avoir répondu

Yes, iam surching a lot of information about right method to start as well as possible my tank, this forum seems to be a total font of informations and advices let's insvestigate

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is about 230 liters, or 50 gallons, correct? You can use hang on back equipment. Try searching "Hang on back" or "HOB." You can try reading about Canister Filters, also. You will find most everyone will have a sump, but you can make something work.

Take your time and read and learn all you can BEFORE you put any water in the tank! This is a great place to learn. :)

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are your dimensions in cm's or inches?

You can put everything in the tank. Tunze makes a good in tank skimmer and there are "hang on the back" options too.

ColonelCrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi my name is Enzo, iam french ( so sorry for my very bad English)
Iam completely beginner the in saltwater and recifal tank.
I have some experience in freshwater tanks but I consider myself as a real beginner in the world of reef aquarium hobby.

Since very young iam fascinated by saltwater aquarium and I decide to take the plunge.
I dispose of a tank with dimensions are 70×70x40.
I can't make a decantation ( I don't know if is the good word in English, I mean a second tank under the principal aquarium for install the skimmer ect.

It is possible to install all the materials in the tank ( skimmer,pump ect ) ?

Can you recommend me about the right equipment ( lights, skimmer, pump ect) for the dimension of my tank?

I just would like to keep easy lsp corals and easy fish to care.

Tank you for reading me and sorry for my English
Salut Enzo! excusez mon mauvais francais. sont vos deminsions dans quelle norme?

Bienvenue sur les Forums. Envisagez-vous des poissons ou des coraux en particulier ?

une "décantation" est universellement preferee mais pas necessaire.

Etes-vous en France? cela changera certainement toutes les suggestions que l'on pourrait faire pour l'affichage ou l'accrochage du kit

(excuse my bad french. are your deminsions in what standard?

welcome to the forums. Are you considering any specific fish or corals?

a "decantation" is universally preferred but not necessary.

are you in France? this will definitely change any suggestions one could make for in display or hang on kit)

OP
OP
Enzoo92

Enzoo92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dimension are in cm's

Do you know if Tunze make some skimmer very quiet because the tank will take place in my bed room ^^

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are looking for some easy to care for LPS coral Duncan coral (Duncanopsammia) and candycane coral (Caulastrea) are easy to care for.

Are you saying you are not able to have a tank under the principle aquarium? We would call that a sump and it's where most tanks have their equipment

Here is an example

reef-diagram.jpg

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can't have a secondary tank under the main aquarium you could use equipment that hangs on the back instead. Its also a common option.

OP
OP
Enzoo92

Enzoo92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
excusez mon mauvais francais. sont vos deminsions dans quelle norme?

Bienvenue sur les Forums. Envisagez-vous des poissons ou des coraux en particulier ?

une "décantation" est universellement préférée mais pas nécessaire.

Etes-vous en France ? cela changera certainement toutes les suggestions que l'on pourrait faire pour l'affichage ou l'accrochage du kit

(excusez mon mauvais français. Vos deminions sont-elles dans quelle norme?

une "décantation" est universellement préférée mais pas nécessaire.

Êtes-vous en France ? cela changera certainement toutes les suggestions que l'on pourrait faire pour l'affichage ou l'accrochage du kit)
Merci de faire l'effort de m'écrire en français c'est vraiment sympa !

Les dimensions de mon aquarium sont en centimètres et je vie effectivement en France.

Dans le volume de mon aquarium je pense que je me limiterai a un couple de poissons clown et un ou deux autres poissons ( gobie, chromis viridis ou gramma )

Pour ce qui est des coraux je me renseigne actuellement sur les coraux les plus simples a maintenir pour un débutant

OP
OP
Enzoo92

Enzoo92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can't have a secondary tank under the main aquarium you could use equipment that hangs on the back instead. Its also a common option.
When you say "under the main aquarium" you mean fixed to the back glass of the tank ? Like that ? :

Attachments

• 20221018_030721.jpg
    20221018_030721.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
Enzoo92

Enzoo92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Votre réservoir fait environ 230 litres, ou 50 gallons, n'est-ce pas ? Vous pouvez utiliser un équipement suspendu. Essayez de rechercher "Hang on back" ou "HOB". Vous pouvez également essayer de lire sur les filtres Canister. Vous constaterez que presque tout le monde aura un puisard, mais vous pouvez faire en sorte que quelque chose fonctionne.

Prenez votre temps et lisez et apprenez tout ce que vous pouvez AVANT de mettre de l'eau dans le réservoir ! C'est un bon endroit pour apprendre.:)
Je cherche ça ! Merci

ColonelCrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Merci de faire l'effort de m'écrire en français c'est vraiment sympa !

Les dimensions de mon aquarium sont en centimètres et je vie effectivement en France.

Dans le volume de mon aquarium je pense que je me limiterai a un couple de poissons clown et un ou deux autres poissons ( gobie, chromis viridis ou gramma )

Pour ce qui est des coraux je me renseigne actuellement sur les coraux les plus simples a maintenir pour un débutant
Etant anglais, je ne peux pas aimer les francais mais nous sommes tous dans ce passe temps ensemble.

Je vous souhaite bonne chance, je suis encore nouveau dans ce domaine, mais je voulais vous souhaiter la bienvenue et vous encourager à être ici pour, espérons-le, obtenir toute l'aide dont vous avez besoin

(being english i am not allowed to like the french but we are all in this hobby together.

i am no expert but wanted to make you feel welcome and encourage you for getting the help you need to be successful!)

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tidal is a great HOB filter with skimmer but HOB's are often loud unfortunately. Many canister filters are quiet though. I think your best solution may be internal filtration. The Shark pro by sicce: (Italian company so should be available)

I have one in this tank on the left side:

B4944DBF-8C35-498F-B5E4-E4016F297375.jpeg

Last edited:

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say "under the main aquarium" you mean fixed to the back glass of the tank ? Like that ? :
That's what I would call hang on the back equipment.

You could use this option and it would work well.

Or you could drill a drain in your aquarium and use what we call a sump to hold equipment. Like this example.

20220902_234113.jpg

Both choices work well. You just need to decide what works best for your situation.

Hopefully this helps!

OP
OP
Enzoo92

Enzoo92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Etant anglais, je ne peux pas aimer les francais mais nous sommes tous dans ce passe temps ensemble.

Je vous souhaite bonne chance, je suis encore nouveau dans ce domaine, mais je voulais vous souhaiter la bienvenue et vous encourager à être ici pour, espérons-le, obtenir toute l'aide dont vous avez besoin

(being english i am not allowed to like the french but we are all in this hobby together.

i am no expert but wanted to make you feel welcome and encourage you for getting the help you need to be successful!)
Hahaha thank you, this hobby doesn't have borders !

OP
OP
Enzoo92

Enzoo92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I would call hang on the back equipment.

You could use this option and it would work well.

Or you could drill a drain in your aquarium and use what we call a sump to hold equipment. Like this example.

20220902_234113.jpg

Both choices work well. You just need to decide what works best for your situation.

Hopefully this helps!
OK , I wanted to make certain that the both options were possible to keep a reef tank

I have no possibility to make a sump so now I think iam going to focus on HOB method !

Thanks everyone for respond to my answers, obviously I would have other questions in the futur, I will post the evolution of the project on this thread

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dimension are in cm's

Do you know if Tunze make some skimmer very quiet because the tank will take place in my bed room ^^
I have a Tunze internal skimmer. They are quiet but they do make a noise. Like a white noise. If it’s bothering you, maybe turn it off during the night.

My nitrates were getting too low so my skimmer is now off during the day and only working at night.

@Enzoo92 If you want a complete internal kit, there is a really nice one that’s available in Europe. Here in North America we have to buy it separately. That’s what I did. In the kit, there is the Tunze ATO, Tunze Skimmer and Tunze internal filter. I’ve been using mine for a year and I can assure you they’re good quality and do a good job.

They come in three sizes, this is the larger size (what I have for my 75 gallons or 280 liters) :

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back