Fully colored golden nugget maroon clownfish

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been eyeing a fully colored golden nugget maroon from a LFS for a while. I don’t see many that have fully colored up. This one is at about 3 to 4” large. They are asking for $100 which is a little steep IMO. But that’s not my main concern as he’s been in their reef system for months. I’m wondering just how territory they usually are. I have tangs, angels, moorish idol, tusk, small wrasses, and a hybrid clown in a 560G DT.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been eyeing a fully colored golden nugget maroon from a LFS for a while. I don’t see many that have fully colored up. This one is at about 3 to 4” large. They are asking for $100 which is a little steep IMO. But that’s not my main concern as he’s been in their reef system for months. I’m wondering just how territory they usually are. I have tangs, angels, moorish idol, tusk, small wrasses, and a hybrid clown in a 560G DT.
Having a clown already may be an issue. Maroon are notorious for their temperament and there could very well be issues if both are mature females.

Eyedogtor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not an expert, but have always found maroons to be super problematic in the community tank. I would be very cautious.

Pat

OP
OP
sc50964

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having a clown already may be an issue. Maroon are notorious for their temperament and there could very well be issues if both are mature females.
Even for a 560G?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Most maroons you'll fing get territorial and nasty even to their owners often biting hands and having a nice set of teeth can cause damage to other tank occupants. Dut to size of your display, withsufficient hiding and hangout area, you may be ok

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t. Do. It.
maroons are little buggers, they will soon be your least favorite fish.

OP
OP
sc50964

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most maroons you'll fing get territorial and nasty even to their owners often biting hands and having a nice set of teeth can cause damage to other tank occupants. Dut to size of your display, withsufficient hiding and hangout area, you may be ok
Sounds like I will need to set up her own tank if I don’t want to risk any of the fish in 560G despite its size.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the you'll do fine with that size display group.

I just added this pair of maroons in with another pair of skunk clowns. So far no issues outside of the female claiming the BTA and now the skunks are interested in said BTA. Been watching a lot of submission from the maroon male to the female but so far so good.

P.S. I've done a few pair(s) of different types of maroons in everything up to a 210g and have seen the whole gambit of behavior. The good, not so good and outright BAD.

OP
OP
sc50964

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the you'll do fine with that size display group.

I just added this pair of maroons in with another pair of skunk clowns. So far no issues outside of the female claiming the BTA and now the skunks are interested in said BTA. Been watching a lot of submission from the maroon male to the female but so far so good.

P.S. I've done a few pair(s) of different types of maroons in everything up to a 210g and have seen the whole gambit of behavior. The good, not so good and outright BAD.
You brought up a good pt but What if I don’t plan keeping any nems? It seems like mixing clowns have the best chance when there are enough nems to go around.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You brought up a good pt but What if I don’t plan keeping any nems? It seems like mixing clowns have the best chance when there are enough nems to go around.
IME a nem isn't necessary, but it does help. The skunks have a relationship between a zoa garden or a toadstool, depending on mood of course, lol. The bta has been in the tank for over a year and they never cared@ all, since they were introduced.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 18 40.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 23 52.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 3 6.8%
Back