Fully covered coraline rocks

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it truthfully bad to have "everyone" of your rocks covered in your tank very massively thick... I mean everyone of them - fully covered.. I have wondered about this for years and years now, I really don't know the answer to this at all. They are now sealed so tightly and to me that means the rocks can't breath or even leach in or out anything. Is that good as well..? Sure cracks and holes are still somewhat present, but not like white dead coal.. Does this make any sense? Is this really a good thing...??

Last edited:

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it truthfully bad to have "everyone" of your rocks covered in your tank very massively thick... I mean everyone of them - fully covered.. I have wondered about this for years and years now, I really don't know the answer to this at all. They are now sealed so tightly and to me that means the rocks can't breath or even leach in or out anything. Is that good as well..? Sure cracks and holes are still somewhat present, but not like white dead coal.. Does this make any sense? Is this really a good thing...??
Funny, I was just thinking about this the other day. Do we still get the same effect from our rock when covered in coral and Coraline. I don't know the answer other than tanks with this issue are doing just fine all over the world.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
The coraline usually only covers the top surface of the rocks. Growing in the light. At least in my tanks. I've never pulled a rock out of my tank and found the bottom of it covered in coraline algae.
I've had a several tanks that had nearly every square inch covered in corals. Would be the same as coraline.

OP
OP
Delatedlotus

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks mfinn .. I know that just the bottoms are bare of it.... But just the bottoms, lack of light I am sure! So also do you need more flow then? I pick-up a rock and shake it and it will cloud the water. And I already do manage excellent water flow as well... I need someone that really understands live rock, I am just so, so, curious I am always trying to fine tune... And I cant nor do I know the answer to this... help... lol

Last edited:

Digimes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks mfinn .. I know that just the bottoms are bare of it.... But just the bottoms, lack of light I am sure! So also do you need more flow then? I pick-up a rock and shake it and it will cloud the water. And I already do manage excellent water flow as well... I need someone that really understands live rock, I am just so, so, curious I am always trying to fine tune... And I cant nor do I know the answer to this... help... lol
Do you have any pictures of this? Also, bacteria colonies grow on basically everything. This includes glass and all so I wouldn't think coraline would inhibit your colonies. Does yours cover the plastic and parts too? I personally love to see a tank covered but I also know some people try to scrape it off everywhere that isn't rock.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I am always trying to fine tune... And I cant nor do I know the answer to this... help... lol
There is nothing wrong with investigating and looking for knowledge, but I remember one piece of advice I got a long time ago, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

OP
OP
Delatedlotus

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any pictures of this? Also, bacteria colonies grow on basically everything. This includes glass and all so I wouldn't think coraline would inhibit your colonies. Does yours cover the plastic and parts too? I personally love to see a tank covered but I also know some people try to scrape it off everywhere that isn't rock.
OH MY tanks are covered to the max.. layer after layer on the back and side glass (acrylic tank is my 120) 90 is a glass tank It is starting to growing on the glass now very well! Battle gyers being covered, fish feeding ring, probes, snails, and my hands... ect,,ect lol. Just everything in the water! Pictures in 15 mins as I have to go to the tanks at work...

OP
OP
Delatedlotus

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is nothing wrong with investigating and looking for knowledge, but I remember one piece of advice I got a long time ago, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Nothing broke as is for sure... I also have another 60lbs of very old school live rock as well - none coraline covered. Thought I might add a few more rocks into my main tanks... But I would like to know from someone who knows what I really don't know nor can answer honestly.... 38+ years of saltwater here and I don't really know the answer to my own question's.... Maybe the vetteguy..?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
The rock is not tightly sealed. Bacteria is growing on all surfaces of the rock, even on the coraline algae. The coraline algae doesn't provide the total surface are most live rock contains, but it will grow on it.
So IMO no coraline algae isn't a bad thing.

OP
OP
Delatedlotus

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I'm wondering, isn't coralline algae just as porous as the live rock?
I don't know that Reef Reboot. I wish someone could tell me that for sure and not just a guess... And really have the answer to my above questions. Seems like no one knows for sure, or not answered yet, 187 views so far. A lot of looks but these are I think are good question's... I just hope this just might help others as well..! I like to learn as much as I can about this hobby. I have been looking for a study... gezzzzzzzzzzz :):)

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just let my tank do its thing naturally like an ocean reef. Add a couple tuxedo urchins and they manage the coralline quite well to maintain a healthy balance in the tank.

OP
OP
Delatedlotus

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just let my tank do its thing naturally like an ocean reef. Add a couple tuxedo urchins and they manage the coralline quite well to maintain a healthy balance in the tank.
A 120g acrylic tank...rats. The 90g is glass, a tuxedo is coming to visit it soon via a hasty personalized invitation..

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 120g acrylic tank...rats. The 90g is glass, a tuxedo is coming to visit it soon via a hasty personalized invitation..
True acrylic is hard to scrape cleanly. I'm one of those persons that doesn't mind some coralline on the glass though on the back and corners, etc... adds character. I have 3 tuxedos now for past 2 years. Them dudes put in some work too.

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know that Reef Reboot. I wish someone could tell me that for sure and not just a guess... And really have the answer to my above questions. Seems like no one knows for sure, or not answered yet, 187 views so far. A lot of looks but these are I think are good question's... I just hope this just might help others as well..! I like to learn as much as I can about this hobby. I have been looking for a study... gezzzzzzzzzzz :):)
With a quick search, here's your answer,

OP
OP
Delatedlotus

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a quick search, here's your answer,
I read this sometime ago.. But there is no definitive findings that I could see. As to if Coralline Algae remains porous enough and is not just a non-porous solid coating. I do realize that some very, very, slight flow if you will is slightly apparent - some. But is the coralline algae impeding the flow of the rock and is what extent is it doing so...???

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 16 22.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 53 74.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back