Old Rock Sitting in a Barrel of Saltwater, any good?

jhrightyhein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey everyone,

I have 50lbs of rock sitting in a barrel of saltwater in my basement for a little over a year. The water isn't heated but basement temp around 60 degrees. The rock was in an old tank with bad algae so rock was bleached, dried and been in the barrel of saltwater ever since as stated over a year now powerhead or heater. Is this rock any good to toss in tank as is or does it need to be dried and re cured in heated saltwater? Thanks!

OP
OP
jhrightyhein

jhrightyhein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks guys. I figured as much but never know if someone ran into same scenario with the excess scaping materials and tried it out!

OP
OP
jhrightyhein

jhrightyhein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Probably filled with anaerobic bacteria now. Throw a heater and a power head in there and a piece of shrimp for a few days. Wait a week and test the water, see where you are at.
Removed 10 gallons of water and put 10 gallons of fresh saltwater in. Put powerhead and heater in waiting for temp to warm up to test salinity.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Removed 10 gallons of water and put 10 gallons of fresh saltwater in. Put powerhead and heater in waiting for temp to warm up to test salinity.
throw a shrimp in there for a few days. then test your parameters after a week. then you can see where you are at.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back