Fungus on Photosynthetic “Red Ball Sponge”

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just received from GulfCoast EcoSystems two

Red Ball Sponge (Psuedaxinella lunaecharta)
galleryredball.jpg
“This species of encrusting red colored sponge features smooth, irregular shaped forms that are attached to rocks and hard bottom. We collect smaller specimens as they seem to do better in the aquarium. All sponges are filter feeders and should only be placed in established aquariums with plenty of live “
I have never kept photosynthetic sponges. They arrived in excellent looking condition. Within 36 hours, one of the two red balls developed a white powdery line. Prior to lights out, I used a toothbrush to remove white powder, yet it was visible again at first light.

Is this a bacteria or a fungus and what outside tank treatment is rcomnded.

image.jpg image.jpg

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gently siphon it off Pat, it's a bacterial infection. DO NOT dip it or treat it with antibiotics. Sponges have very complex bacterial microbiomes and you will do more harm than good.

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gently siphon it off Pat, it's a bacterial infection. DO NOT dip it or treat it with antibiotics. Sponges have very complex bacterial microbiomes and you will do more harm than good.
This morning at first light, I noted that white film had begin to detach and I removed it with Turkey baster.

Six hours later, this picture shows the beginning of white powder. Clearly outlined are new minute openings which were formed under white mat during the previous night. As a guess, I say it is repairing itself. I have seen Red Tree Sponges do similar growth after being grazed on by hippo tang & lawn mower Blennie.

I have never had a photosynthetic sponge before and I gave it much light intensity. After seeing white powder on one sponge, I reduced intensity by at least 50% and increased circulation at the same time.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 33
OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you for chiming in. I just got off the phone with Russ Kronwetter, diver/owner of GuldCoast EcoSystem. He concurs with no chemical treatment and suggested increasing flow rate. He also informed me that red ball sponge is not photosynthetic.

Russ just returned from diving Atlantic side of Keys with water temperature at 103 degrees. Dead coral & fish rotting caused breathing issues on open reef. All the collectors in the Caribbean are in limbo as to livelihood.

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Timfish

The sponge is rotting underneath the white powdery film. I was considering performing surgery to cut away rotting flesh, but it stinks too much. I purchased two of them and the other one looks fine. With so many other sponges in this tank, I will not endanger their welfare.

image.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 162 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back