**HELP** Possible Sponges invading vacant holes all over torch corals stem?!?

MikeyD1182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone I have a possible sponge issue that I'm trying to figure out a way to kill and or remove them without messing up the torch at all. I ordered some stuff on an online auction site (Aquariums Wholesale) and when I received and opened up the package to get ready to acclimate and dip the corals I noticed 1 of the stems was covered in small holes everywhere all over and a bunch of white looking algae on them (sponge maybe) so I gently scrubbed it with a toothbrush, dipped it coral rx (where a HUGE flatworm came off right away), then did a KFC dip then a fresh saltwater rinse and placed in the tank. Late last night I was looking in the tank when the lights were off and noticed there's all kinds of stuff coming out of all those holes. Upon researching this stuff on here there was some posts saying the holes could be from either some kinda boring worm or clam / mollusk and that both will eat the coral from the inside and are unphased by coral dips. I've pulled the torch and placed in a container with tank water and with tweezers messed with the white stuff which appears to be sponges, nothing moved or pulled back in so I'm guessing it's all sponges and the holes were vacant prior to me receiving them and sponge has grown in those cavities. I'm not sure what to do to kill and or remove the sponges from the holes in the stem other then dremeling the sides smooth but if the holes are deep that won't really work. I've read a diluted hydrogen peroxide bath would kill the sponge but would the torch have issues sitting in this peroxide bath for 10-15 minutes? I don't wanna stress it out or kill it, just the sponges. I've posted a video to show you all what I'm talking about and a Youtube link to the same video I just uploaded in case there's any issues watching the video I posted directly on here. Any and all help would be and will be appreciated!! Thanks in advance and happy reefing to all!!

Last edited:

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just let them be. Sponges are harmless. Anything you do is likely to just irritate the torch coral.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would, however, crush any vermatids you may find on there (I couldn't tell if I saw one or not).

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone I have a possible sponge issue that I'm trying to figure out a way to kill and or remove them without messing up the torch at all. I ordered some stuff on an online auction site and when I received and opened up the package to get ready to acclimate and dip the corals I noticed 1 of the stems was covered in small holes everywhere all over and a bunch of white looking algae on them (sponge maybe) so I gently scrubbed it with a toothbrush, dipped it coral rx (where a HUGE flatworm came off right away), then did a KFC dip then a fresh saltwater rinse and placed in the tank. Late last night I was looking in the tank when the lights were off and noticed there's all kinds of stuff coming out of all those holes. Upon researching this stuff on here there was some posts saying the holes could be from either some kinda boring worm or clam / mollusk and that both will eat the coral from the inside and are unphased by coral dips. I've pulled the torch and placed in a container with tank water and with tweezers messed with the white stuff which appears to be sponges, nothing moved or pulled back in so I'm guessing it's all sponges and the holes were vacant prior to me receiving them and sponge has grown in those cavities. I'm not sure what to do to kill and or remove the sponges from the holes in the stem other then dremeling the sides smooth but if the holes are deep that won't really work. I've read a diluted hydrogen peroxide bath would kill the sponge but would the torch have issues sitting in this peroxide bath for 10-15 minutes? I don't wanna stress it out or kill it, just the sponges. I've posted a video to show you all what I'm talking about and a Youtube link to the same video I just uploaded in case there's any issues watching the video I posted directly on here. Any and all help would be and will be appreciated!! Thanks in advance and happy reefing to all!!

I would not recommend buying from that coral seller again!

OP
OP
MikeyD1182

MikeyD1182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because the coral stem had all those holes! Seems like their system has pests.
Fair enough, that makes sense. I mean he does import stuff but also said he holds onto everything for awhile and treats the corals and quarantines them. I don't know him personally or his business but have heard mixed things. He's never done wrong by me personally but some of these corals come in rough at times.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 145 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back