Orange/red sponge long term?

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had anyone kept orange or red sponges long term in there reef tank ? I'm tempted to try a tree sponges or ball ..my tank is large and very well established ..I have a ton of sponge growing under the rocks and stuff .
I also have a well established reef (7yrs old) with lots of natural sponge but have never been able to keep a red tree sponge longer than 18 months or so. I have had success with ball sponges but not really with tree sponges. I wish you the best of luck.

OP
OP
charliethetuna

charliethetuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a well established reef (7yrs old) with lots of natural sponge but have never been able to keep a red tree sponge longer than 18 months or so. I have had success with ball sponges but not really with tree sponges. I wish you the best of luck.
Wonder why if you have sponges growing then I wpuld think the tree sponges would do well ..who knows with this hobby lol

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have been told several times don't. Not really because we can't, more of if it dies... totally nukes the tank. I have ordered a faux sponge for our new tank. I have planned the scape for it to be removed for cleaning easily.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been told several times don't. Not really because we can't, more of if it dies... totally nukes the tank. I have ordered a faux sponge for our new tank. I have planned the scape for it to be removed for cleaning easily.
Actually I only have a 56 gallon tank with 30 gallon sump and have never had a tree sponge nuke my tank. They just tend to shrink and slowly wither to nothing. There are some very realistic looking faux sponges and they do add a nice punch of color. My tank is definitely not lacking in vibrant red since I have thriving gracilaria.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Actually I only have a 56 gallon tank with 30 gallon sump and have never had a tree sponge nuke my tank. They just tend to shrink and slowly wither to nothing. There are some very realistic looking faux sponges and they do add a nice punch of color. My tank is definitely not lacking in vibrant red since I have thriving gracilaria.
Good to know! I have lots of healthy sponges, but was afraid to try these because of being warned more than once.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know! I have lots of healthy sponges, but was afraid to try these because of being warned more than once.
You could run some carbon in the beginning until you see how they respond in your tank?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back