Funniest Reefing Moments

JAS927

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What has been the funniest moment you’ve experienced while keeping a reef? Whether it be an oops! or otherwise

Mine would have to be back when I had started in saltwater about 20 years ago. I was used to small little freshwater things and taught from the age of 3 that when a fish dies you just give them a proper swirling water burial.

Well, forward to my first larger saltwater tank and I had a beautiful large foxface who unfortunately saw its final days. I thought nothing of it and flushed the fish.

That evening the toilet was draining oddly slow. Followed by a complete not draining situation and overflowing all over the bathroom. Weird. Again, thought nothing but old house clogged pipes or pipe to the septic tank maybe froze. It was -45° and that happened on occasion.

Frantically tried a plunger for the better part of a hour.

Went all the way to the city to borrow a drain snake. No change.

Tried from other drains in hopes of finding and dislodging the clog. Nothing.

Must be the toilet drain pipe only. Removed the toilet. Snaked the main pipe. Nothing there. What the heck. Must be a frozen septic. This is serious now.

Laid the toilet on its side to scrape the wax seal off cleanly to reinstall it. What is THAT? A weird white bulge coming from the hole in the bottom of the toilet. Hesitantly I poked at it with an adjustable wrench; simply because it was the closest tool nearby in that moment and there was no way I was touching this object with a bare finger. Out flopped a foxface, landing with a dramatic *gloooop* sound on the floor.

It took the rest of the night shaking my head at myself in disbelief to get over the stress of this nonsense and thinking my septic lines froze.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it was when I could not find my chalk bass in my 20g nano cube. Missing for a couple days before I found it in my 45 frag system. Yes they are jumpers, lol.
It jumped from the 20 to the 45.
Its like it could see the water in the other system and went for it, lol.
20221126_092210.jpg

OP
OP
JAS927

JAS927

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it was when I could not find my chalk bass in my 20g nano cube. Missing for a couple days before I found it in my 45 frag system. Yes they are jumpers, lol.
It jumped from the 20 to the 45.
Its like it could see the water in the other system and went for it, lol.
20221126_092210.jpg
That’s just a best case scenario for an escapee!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back