Furan-2 alternative for Zoa Pox?

schleppey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you may have heard Furan-2 is discontinued, and I cannot find a substitute. It can be the same medicine (nitrofurazone) or something different if it works. The couple other threads that asked this were sidetracked or people offering their personal supply of furan-2 to help.

I personally need a better long term solution and was curious if anyone knows any other treatments to use on Zoa Pox?

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That powder is an Interesting idea. I am in the same boat. I have a little Furan-2 left, but it's not going to last forever.
I found these possible alternatives:

https://www.hikariusa.com/water_quality_folder/bifuran.html

www.thefishroom.net/products/nitrofurazone-treats-up-to-1-000-gallons
The 2nd option seems available and useful but i know hikari has been sold out of their bifuran+ since before API even thought about not making it anymore lol.

I need to use the rest of my furan 2 for some mushroom rehab attempts so c'est la vie.

Lol.

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 2nd option seems available and useful but i know hikari has been sold out of their bifuran+ since before API even thought about not making it anymore lol.

I need to use the rest of my furan 2 for some mushroom rehab attempts so c'est la vie.

Lol.
Well, hopefully we will find exactly what we need. Good luck with the mushrooms!

dmsc2fs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bringing back an old thread since I am trying to get up to speed on meds. Can someone confirm for me. Wouldn't this be a replacement for Furan-2?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bringing back an old thread since I am trying to get up to speed on meds. Can someone confirm for me. Wouldn't this be a replacement for Furan-2?

Yea just with possibly a different concentration.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

denbigh97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a followup, I dipped my zoas using the Aqualife nitrofurazone. I first popped all of the white pustules with tweezers and then dipped in 2 cups of fresh saltwater (same temperature as the tank water) with the about 30-40mg of nitrofurazone (eyeballed the amount as my kitchen scale can’t measure such a small amount) for 20 minutes, followed by a rinse with the fresh saltwater. Repeated daily for 3 days. All zoas are open now. I will continue to monitor to see if another dip will be necessary after a week.

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a followup, I dipped my zoas using the Aqualife nitrofurazone. I first popped all of the white pustules with tweezers and then dipped in 2 cups of fresh saltwater (same temperature as the tank water) with the about 30-40mg of nitrofurazone (eyeballed the amount as my kitchen scale can’t measure such a small amount) for 20 minutes, followed by a rinse with the fresh saltwater. Repeated daily for 3 days. All zoas are open now. I will continue to monitor to see if another dip will be necessary after a week.
Did you FW dip each day or only the first day?

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, the furan-2 from API also had doxycycline in it. Not sure if that's worth including in a substitute treatment.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back