Temperature 77.54°F
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
Nitrate between 5-10
Phosphates 0.03
pH 8.2
Alkalinity 8
Salinity 1025
First question. Are there any more vitally important tests I should be doing before considering some LPS corals?
What would you consider a user friendly LPS?
I seem to have lost one of the pyjama Cardinals since adding the Royal Dottyback (which was a gift). There are now two Clowns, the Dottyback, a Firefish and one Cardinal.
Is it too dangerous to add one or two yellowtail damsels? Will this ever be possible?
Thanks for your time once again!!

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how big is the tank? And how old is it? the dottyback might make it hard for you to add more fish, they are usually aggressive, but depends on your tank size.

Calcium and magnesium are 2 tests your missing, but not urgently needed for a few lps, but its something you will want to keep track of later if you stock up on more corals.

OP
OP
Gordi

Gordi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for replying. The tank is a corner unit of around 52 US gallons. It's a triangular shape of 43" X 28" X 28" with a depth of 22". And now about 8 months old.
I'll probably leave the fish as they are for a while and concentrate on the corals.
Is there a shrimp I could safely add?

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 8 months testing nitrite and ammonia is a waste. Stop testing those and test magnesium and calcium instead. Important tests for coral are alkalinity, calcium, magnesium, ph, nitrate, phosphate.
As for shrimp cleaner and fire shrimp are easy additions.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow that must be a beautiful tank! So you basically have a FOWLR tank and want to reef it up? At 8 months your tank should be good to go, think about a few tester corals to try out and go for it. There are lots of amazing and beautiful and different shrimp that could be happy in your tank, part of the fun is the research and making that final decision. Good luck and enjoy!

OP
OP
Gordi

Gordi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the comments! I'll take the advice about the shrimp and have a look for a cleaner tomorrow. As for the corals, I already have a GSP ( which is slowly improving since I moved it) and a couple of zoas, a green one which seems okay and an orange one which is never happy! I'll be looking at LPS when I sort out the magnesium and calcium tests.
Thanks again.
IMG_20210918_133039_101.jpg

JayA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Gordi I started with mushrooms, zoas, gsp, xenia and then moved to toadstool leathers, hammers, and gorgonian. Frogspawn and torches are a possibility for you too I would say.

OP
OP
Gordi

Gordi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a Xenia but that detached itself and floated off under the rock somewhere. Can't see it or blow it out with a turkey baster so I suppose it's a write off unfortunately. I really wanted it for the movement but at £18 (about $24) it was a little expensive for the only movement I saw!)
Thanks again. I'll have to go out of town to find shrimps and decent corals but it's a morning out, I suppose).
Testing first, though!!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Your tank should more than be ready for coral and fish Provided you have proper light and water flow.
There are a variety of coral that can be introduced such as mushroom, anemone, leather, GSP, stylopora, candy cane, duncans and Zoa

Be sure to acclimate before introducing. One concern I would have is - what test kits are you using?
While Zero readings can be achieved, there should be nitrate showing up . If youre using API kits, you may likely have false readings.

OP
OP
Gordi

Gordi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using RedSea test kits. This morning showed between 5 and 10 in Phosphate levels.
I already have 5 fish doing well and some soft corals doing not so well ( but seem to be improving)
Out of the listed corals, I really fancy candy canes, and Duncans. Are these considered easy?

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the test values what test kits are you using ?
as mentioned above you’re missing calcium and magnesium but for only lps it’s not necessary but wouldn’t hurt to know their value .
the salt mix alone will maintain these values with water changes

OP
OP
Gordi

Gordi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am doing 10% water changes every 7 days. I just worry that any bigger changes might affect the temperature and upset everything in there.
I've just taken delivery of another heater so might be able to warm the RO water before I change it next time.
I'll take the advice and get the Ca and Mg kits tomorrow.
Regarding the fish, I really want a Mandarin Dragonet but should I get rid of the Dottyback before I get one? And how do I get a large enough population of copypods to keep him happy or do I try to breed them in another tank? (My daughter has a spare 5 gallon tank)

OP
OP
Gordi

Gordi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am doing 10% water changes every 7 days. I just worry that any bigger changes might affect the temperature and upset everything in there.
I've just taken delivery of another heater so might be able to warm the RO water before I change it next time.
I'll take t inhe advice and get the Ca and Mg kits tomorrow.
Regarding the fish, I really want a Mandarin Dragonet but should I get rid of the Dottyback before I get one? And how do I get a large enough population of copypods to keep him happy or do I try to breed them in another tank? (My daughter has a spare 5 gallon tank

OP
OP
Gordi

Gordi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really must concentrate more. It's the Nitrate level that is between 5 and 10. The Phosphates are 0.03.
All these chemicals!!!!

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll take t inhe advice and get the Ca and Mg kits tomorrow.
Regarding the fish, I really want a Mandarin Dragonet but should I get rid of the Dottyback before I get one? And how do I get a large enough population of copypods to keep him happy or do I try to breed them in another tank? (My daughter has a spare 5 gallon tank
8 month tank should be good for pods already I’d think. Should be fine to add one to the tank without need to supplement or remove other fish.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a large pod population.
provide safe hiding place such as a sump with rocks or cheato .

they can safely reproduce without being consumed .

be known adding 1 mandarin will consume tons of pods . Even if you are seeing a lot of them prior to adding the mandarin . They make
Short work and eat all day .

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 123 58.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.7%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.7%
Back