Future of the Coral Reefs - interviews with the Coral Godfather

shiftline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two weeks ago at Macna I was lucky enough to book a few minutes with Dr. John ‘Charlie’ Veron. He is an extremely fascinating man who’s has named/ID over 20% of the corals we see today.

I was curious to get his point of view on the future of the reefs. Enjoy

OP
OP
shiftline

shiftline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very interesting..and a little depressing.

meanwhile we have a president that has slashed alternative energy research and development and is trying to bring back the coal industry.

Our poor reefs! I'm putting my faith into some new hybrid more resilient corals.. I honestly think that's our main hope for future generations of coral reefs.
It will be very interesting to see what comes out of the coral spawning/genetic research over the next few years.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, to be honest, I know very little about reef ecosystems (we as humans don't know so much in general about them). I am however a wetland biologist and have studied ecosystem changes in several different environments.
While there is some hope to be had in the fact that plants and animals will always find a way to survive and thrive, in most of these cases there is a dramatic loss of biodiversity and stability. An ecosystems resilancy is a hard to thing to measure but all signs point to corals being very very sensitive.
In terrestrial systems, removing a single species can have dramatic effects. The near extermination of beavers in the 1800's caused a dramatic drop in stream productivity, plant diversity and animal diversity. They reintroduced wolf's to yellowstone...a couple years later riparian vegetation is exploding, macro invertebrates numbers are climbing and stream temperatures are lowering. why? because the elk can no longer just "hang out" all day and munch stream side vegetation because they will lunch. The difference is night and day.

The godfather is right, we are seeing the effects today of what happened 20 years ago. So can we change course and make effective change? Let me ask you this, how many people do you know that still believe climate change is just a theory??

Last edited by a moderator:

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's great to hear Dr. Veron's take on the state of wild reefs, and it's terrific that he's willing to speak with hobbyists - not all researchers would be. What he's got to say is important!

That having been said, please keep the debate here both civil and non-political in nature. From the R2R TOS:

Be Appropriate:
. . . Political discussions, statements, or rants are strictly prohibited.

~Bruce, Moderation Team

pdxmonkeyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's great to hear Dr. Veron's take on the state of wild reefs, and it's terrific that he's willing to speak with hobbyists - not all researchers would be. What he's got to say is important!

That having been said, please keep the debate here both civil and non-political in nature. From the R2R TOS:

Be Appropriate:
. . . Political discussions, statements, or rants are strictly prohibited.

~Bruce, Moderation Team
sorry... it is quite frustrating at times

OP
OP
shiftline

shiftline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be depressing to think about. But if it’s enough to put that bug in enough ears to help make better choice that help save the ocean.. then those little bits all add up and are worth while!

We all love coral and the reefs. This hobby helps drive passion!

pdxmonkeyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes! I always try to buy cultured corals when I can. They are more expensive but they do not die as often.

That and don't wear coral harming sunscreen when you swim in the ocean!!!!

Back