Genetically Modified Corals and the Future of Reef Keeping

For or against genetically modified corals?

• Total voters

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody on this thread a freshwater person also? Those dyed Glow-type of fish are an abomination to most of the community and they avoid them - your typical buyer is a whiny brat who wants a fishy RIGHT NOW. I do not think that doing this to corals would get any better of a reception in the reefing community.

There are many folks who will not even put grafted corals into their tanks.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was just a hypothetical the coral species could be interchangeable, so would you be for a coral that does over take your tank and kill everything?
I think the super Windex day glow reef tanks look terrible now....sure a little color pop with natural lighting is what I strive for. I mean if I still dosed LSD, a blacklight reef could give hours of entertainment. I just don't see where science like gene splicing should be applied to a hobby.

Actual meaningful research into reef restoration that's a whole different topic.

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody on this thread a freshwater person also? Those dyed Glow-type of fish are an abomination to most of the community and they avoid them - your typical buyer is a whiny brat who wants a fishy RIGHT NOW. I do not think that doing this to corals would get any better of a reception in the reefing community
I hate glofish!! Just the fakeness of it isn’t good!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would almost guarantee anyone on this site - if there was a genetically changed/engineered coral - it would be bought. My guess is also that genetically engineered coral is happening now - and has been happening for a while

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing as the prices for wild collected "Ultra Mega Rainbow" corals are already priced at >$100 a frag, I can't imagine Johnny's Custom Corals would bother charging less for their own rainbow vomit strain. I'd rather have sps bred to be hardy, though as Randy noted that would be challenging.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
crispr corals. $ nice thread, great idea, I feel it does portend a direction this hobby will take.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
crispr corals. $ nice thread, great idea, I feel it does portend a direction this hobby will take.
I have a feeling it will not portend a direction this hobby will take - at least not for 50 years.

FranklinDattein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I landed in this YouTube channel I binge watched it and started wondering the same.

He makes several experiments with DNA editing and make it looks easy. He even cured himself of lactose intolerance.
I also came across DIY kits for modifying yeast, for under $350.
So, it could well be the future of farmed corals.
It would be incredible to produce corals more resistant to heat, pests and diseases…

The building blocks are available. We just need a farmer that can spawn coral consistently, has the gene editing skills and a lot of patience for them to grow.
What a time to be alive!

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a fascinating 'what if' scenario that's been running through my mind. :face-with-raised-eyebrow:

What if we borrowed a page from Glofish and apply genetic modifications to our corals? in the future we could see corals modified into what I like to call ULTRA-RAINBOW CORALS
Untitled.png

If this were possible, it could potentially revolutionize our entire hobby and usher in a new era of reefing. Beyond just aesthetics, genetically improved corals could become more resistant to climate change, ocean acidification and disease.

So, what do you think about this idea? How do you think it might change the way we keep reef aquariums in the future, and what ethical concerns do you have in mind?
I voted no. I wouldn’t to imagine what could happen over time if someone planted a GMO coral in an open system.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure someone is working GMO but I've not seen it. Now grafting, cross breeding etc. is for sure going on. I buy a lot of Euphyllia and have a few from Monsoon in Australia where they have attained 3-4 color hammers that are pretty spectacular. Not seen it in torches yet though. I guess I don't necessarily have an issue with modification especially when it's not just designer $$$ but also for species survival.

Palmetto Coral Co.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a fascinating 'what if' scenario that's been running through my mind. :face-with-raised-eyebrow:

What if we borrowed a page from Glofish and apply genetic modifications to our corals? in the future we could see corals modified into what I like to call ULTRA-RAINBOW CORALS
Untitled.png

If this were possible, it could potentially revolutionize our entire hobby and usher in a new era of reefing. Beyond just aesthetics, genetically improved corals could become more resistant to climate change, ocean acidification and disease.

So, what do you think about this idea? How do you think it might change the way we keep reef aquariums in the future, and what ethical concerns do you have in mind?

Untitled.png

Hmm, interesting idea in regards to creating more resistant coral. But with messing with the coloration that becomes tricky. Take Glo Fish for example, they are patented meaning only authorized retailers can sell them and it is “illegal” breed them. Think about fragging now, we would not be “allowed” to sell frags of these corals due to the patent so and only certain retailers could sell these corals creating a monopoly. I don’t think messing with the already bright colors of these corals would be a good idea for several reasons. Interesting theory though

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Untitled.png

I am okay with this manipulation for coral kept in captivity. Allowing folks to manipulate wild reefs is an insanely dangerous idea that makes me think “Bananas

I feel the same way about folks out planting coral to restore wild reefs. Let’s leave that to nature for at least another century while people study the underwater ecosystem to understand a lot more about how they function without our meddling intervention.

Your Mother Nature has been doing a great job for many 1000’s of years and we only just learned how to fragment and keep corals alive in the last 50 years.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anybody on this thread a freshwater person also? Those dyed Glow-type of fish are an abomination to most of the community and they avoid them - your typical buyer is a whiny brat who wants a fishy RIGHT NOW. I do not think that doing this to corals would get any better of a reception in the reefing community.

There are many folks who will not even put grafted corals into their tanks.
Yes - and you're correct. That said - it would not surprise me - for someone to try and transplant zooxanthellae into a coral calling it a 'new variety'.

darrick001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it ever got out into the wild, never know how the gene editing would effect other genes. May outcompete local corals. An eco disaster.
My thoughts exactly. It's not a matter of if but when. I worry that by modification we would create an invasive species type situation. Even with the best intentions adding a new or modified species to an environment will have unknown consequences far beyond the intended. Just because we can do something doesn't necessarily mean we should.

FranklinDattein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It isn't uncommon for folks to confuse Genetically Modified Organism (GMO) with selective breeding.
Selective breeding is the process of crossing individuals with certain characteristics to produce offspring with more desirable characteristics. Humans have been selective breeding plants, dogs, etc for many years.

A GMO is the result of reprogramming the DNA of an organism to inject certain characteristics. Examples are seeds that are immune to pesticides, glow fish and the video I posted earlier in this thread.
GMO offers a much wider range of possibilities and risks.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 60 33.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back