FYI Headless install and Upgrading OS to Bookworm OS ***Warning/Notification***

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was trying to help some out over the last couple of days with a new install and went to load one of my reef-pi test units with all new software, been doing this with raspberry pi's for ages...Looks like for Bookworm the latest raspberry OS no longer supports the old headless install method for the wireless portion (wpa supplicant method). For Bookworm they have moved to network manager and only support the new method for configuring the network.

What this means, if your trying to setup a new unit and using a keyboard and monitor then you can step through the initial installation normally. If you are trying to do a headless install where you need to connect to wifi and connect remotely then you need to install the latest RPI imager and configure the advanced options, using an older version will not work and wifi will not get configure, ask me how I know, lol. Here is the link for the imager software - https://www.raspberrypi.com/software/

The other thing to note is I would be very careful when doing an OS upgrade from Bullseye to Bookworm since I am not sure how well it updates the wireless settings. I have not attempted that yet to work out the process and ensure that I can perform it remotely. I have read that some had issues and there were some comments that it its possible but must be done a certain way. I for one would be very careful when attempting to upgrade.

Just thought I would pass this along...hope it saves someone some time, I know I spent way more time yesterday when it should have been a simple process, lol...:)

@robsworld78 I think we will need to update the installation guide to make sure it matches up with the latest imager and probably should add some words about making sure you always have the latest imager. Actually the install script is not working properly for robotank ( the sed commands are not working). I can help with that later in the week, just let me know.

Last edited:

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moving this one along

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.5%
Back