G5 Diffuser on Gen3 Radion XR30 - doable?

ellisz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since the Diffusers for the G5's were inexpensive and I could not locate any of the 1st gen diffusers, I decided to buy 2 G5 diffusers and see if they would work for the older generation xr30.

Dimesions are good and magnet mount should be an easy add to the Gen3's. Of course the big difference is the fan in the center of the light.

I had thoughts of:
1. Using a thicker magnet or allowing for a gap between the diffuser and the light. What do you think the air flow situation would be? I have 2 XR30's in a canopy so adding a cool air intake to the canopy may be needed?
2. Cutting a round hole in the diffuser to accommodate the fan. There are no LED's in the middle so other than aesthetics, it should be ok.

I am not familiar with the earlier diffusers but would these accomplish what the G4 diffusers do for the G3 or am I wasting my time thinking about it? I have access to a par meter so I could test the results.

Thoughts?

OP
OP
ellisz

ellisz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to replace the screws on the four corners of the of the XR30 to a screw that a magnet will attach to. It should support the diffuser on its own at that point - with a magnet used as a spacer. Will try a 1/4" gap to allow air flow and see how it handles it. Should have some pics this weekend.

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You could get some 80mm PC fan grills.
Fan grill
cut the square out for the round opening. then punch the 4 holes in the diffusers material. Get longer fan screws that will go from the grill into the fan screw holes on the light and attach it then use nuts on the screw at the light to secure the fan down in the light. so the screws are in the fixture and the diffuser material isnt trying to hold the grill up

or just get the fan grill. Some skinny pieces of plastic like on the G4 diffuser. and glue that to the grill and then the diffuser sides like the actual one. then the frame will be supporting the fan grill

OP
OP
ellisz

ellisz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swapped the 4 corner screws and they are on. Will have to monitor the heat to see if the fans are not doing much. Could always alway add a grill and cut some holes.

20200625_214955.jpg

corky1618

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Swapped the 4 corner screws and they are on. Will have to monitor the heat to see if the fans are not doing much. Could always alway add a grill and cut some holes.

20200625_214955.jpg
How has it been holding up? I just got some used xr30 G3 and I saw that the diffuser was 120 dollar for one which is just a piece of plastic and plexiglass. I was searching to see if anyone had a DIY solution. This may be it. If you get a chance, please let me know. Thanks.

OP
OP
ellisz

ellisz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up cutting holes in the center since the fans seemed to be running more but I also added some fans to the canopy so not sure the holes were really necessary. They look better without the holes. Other than hitting them and knocking them in the tank, they work great. I moved the G3's to my frag tank and have now have G5's with diffusers and they can get knocked off too if you are not careful.

Been pretty happy with them.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back