G6JOJ's Red Sea Max Nano Build

G6JOJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

New to the forum and new to the hobby!

After lurking on this and other forums for literally years - I've decided to bite the bullet and start my first tank and ordered a Reefer 350.

I feel like after all the reading I've been doing I should be much clearer, but in reality I am bamboozled by all of the many options and have literally no idea what I'm doing, so will need a lot of help as I go along.

To start with, I wondered if I could get some thoughts on the Equipment I'm looking at. In general I thought I might as well go big or go home but I'm very open to being told not to be so stupid and save some money!

Lighting: 2x ReefLED 90

I was originally looking at 2x Radion XR30 G4 for compatibility with the Apex which would be a bonus - but that was looking like double the price once the lights, mounts and WXM module were considered. Will I regret this? Should I be looking at something else entirely? Not a massive fan of the round Kessils aesthetically speaking.

Controller: Neptune Apex (UK Edition)

Return Pump: Reef Octopus VarioS-4

Skimmer: Reef Octopus Regal 150-S (Overkill?)

Powerheads: Neptune Wav x2 (For compatibility with the Apex and Rear Mounting)

Heater: V2Therm 300 Digital Heater 300w (x2 for redundancy and probably alternating daily or AM/PM)

Reactors: No idea here yet - is this alright to come later or would doing it up front be easier / increase chances of success?

Dosing: Probably the Apek kit down the line? Doesn't seem necessary initially

ATO: I've seen real mixed reviews of what's included with the 350 - not sure I entirely understand how this works just yet and the benefits of adding something over stock

That just leaves sand, rock, livestock and what on earth I'm going to do about producing water / getting water to my small apartment.

Any thoughts, feedback etc. gratefully accepted!

Joe

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
#WelcometoR2R!!! It sounds like you have a lot of nice parts - I look forward to seeing pictures of everything as you put this system together!

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to r2r !
I'd first invest in an rodi unit to save yourself the hassle of lugging buckets. Dont worry about dosing or reactors yet and the rest of the list looks good!

OP
OP
G

G6JOJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#WelcometoR2R!!! It sounds like you have a lot of nice parts - I look forward to seeing pictures of everything as you put this system together!
Welcome to r2r !
I'd first invest in an rodi unit to save yourself the hassle of lugging buckets. Dont worry about dosing or reactors yet and the rest of the list looks good!

Thank you both! Do you not think I'm overdoing it on any of the equipment? Looking at other people starting out with this tank it feels like some of the kit may be unnecessary. I've gone for stuff to be specifically compatible with the Apex but I'm wondering if variable flow on pump and skimmer etc. is even stuff I'd end up using.

Thinking of switching to 2x XR15s for the lighting - should only be a little more than the ReefLEDs and give me the Apex compatibility.

RODI is the real challenge that I'm just trying to figure out - I have very little space left in the apartment to store stuff let alone leave it set up. Trying to watch some videos of people who do it with small containers and set up everything every time but seems a lot of hassle - and would be a long task for the initial fill.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you both! Do you not think I'm overdoing it on any of the equipment? Looking at other people starting out with this tank it feels like some of the kit may be unnecessary. I've gone for stuff to be specifically compatible with the Apex but I'm wondering if variable flow on pump and skimmer etc. is even stuff I'd end up using.

Thinking of switching to 2x XR15s for the lighting - should only be a little more than the ReefLEDs and give me the Apex compatibility.

RODI is the real challenge that I'm just trying to figure out - I have very little space left in the apartment to store stuff let alone leave it set up. Trying to watch some videos of people who do it with small containers and set up everything every time but seems a lot of hassle - and would be a long task for the initial fill.

Great question. We all come at this hobby (and life) from different places so, while there are probably some wrong ways, IMO there isn't one right way. I am a #reefoctopus fan and am currently running several of their skimmers, light reactor, etc. I think that you will be please with the quality of their gear over time instead of having to upgrade in six months. Reef your reef - you are off to a good start!

OP
OP
G

G6JOJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great question. We all come at this hobby (and life) from different places so, while there are probably some wrong ways, IMO there isn't one right way. I am a #reefoctopus fan and am currently running several of their skimmers, light reactor, etc. I think that you will be please with the quality of their gear over time instead of having to upgrade in six months. Reef your reef - you are off to a good start!

That was my logic - I figure the better the equipment, the more chance of success I've got. Even if it is super hard to find an Apex in the UK and it comes with the old powerbar!

I must say I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed with all of the info, options and decisions to make but this forum is definitely keeping me sane!

Thanks for your advice - I'm sure I'm going to need a lot more over the next few months!

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just get a unit u can hook up to your sink to make water and store away when your done . Will make life much easier . Especially if you have stairs...

jmsilhy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following tour thread, I’m almost about to do the same tank and reading all I can about it.

OP
OP
G

G6JOJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Random update: My girlfriend's company has just gone under as a result of everyone's favourite virus so I've made the decision to abandon the Reefer 350 and the £5k build I had planned and scale back to a Red Sea Max Nano.

Should provide a different challenge for a while, and I'll have ready made QT tank if I do eventually grab a bigger tank too.

I have 3 initial questions on the new build if anyone has any views!

1. I'd really like 2x Banggai Cardinals and 2x Clowns - is this too much for a tank of this size?
2. What would a sensible CUC be for a tank of this size?
3. I'll probably add a Red Sea ReefWave (for compatibility with their app) - is this overkill to the point of being silly? And what would the optimal placement be in a tank like this?

Thanks all!

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 57 39.3%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 77 53.1%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back