Gaias zoas

WhitePanther93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have experience with gaias zoanthid? When I first got them they were alway really quick to open up. Now they’re my only zoas that don’t open up. They look like they’re reaching and want to open up. My others don’t seem to be reaching. Any ideas? Do gaias just want more light than other zoas? Am I just answering my own question? I’ve currently got my tank on a modified version of kessil’s basic cycle in the phone app, and the acclimation mode is on as well.

03449315-F0A3-4890-9CD9-647C1AFEEDBD.jpeg
9A3F906C-85AE-48D6-8D16-3C5D2FACE496.jpeg

OP
OP
WhitePanther93

WhitePanther93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you start with dry rock?
Started with a bunch of the purple dry rock from my lfs. then added an arch which ended up being white cuz none of their purple stuff fit what what I wanted. Hoping coraline algae fixes this down the line.

Last edited:

FrostyFrags

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes new zoa's take a bit to adjust. I've had zoa's be closed for weeks to open up later with no action taken.

I also find too much light can keep them closed, but never heard that about too little light.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have experience with gaias zoanthid? When I first got them they were alway really quick to open up. Now they’re my only zoas that don’t open up. They look like they’re reaching and want to open up. My others don’t seem to be reaching. Any ideas? Do gaias just want more light than other zoas? Am I just answering my own question? I’ve currently got my tank on a modified version of kessil’s basic cycle in the phone app, and the acclimation mode is on as well.

03449315-F0A3-4890-9CD9-647C1AFEEDBD.jpeg
9A3F906C-85AE-48D6-8D16-3C5D2FACE496.jpeg
They look ***** but fine. If you can’t see any color or skirt you’re in trouble.
Highly unlikely but look closely at them and make sure they don’t something on or near them that’s bothering them.

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
He said it's been running since April thats not too new for zoanthids lol.

I disagree, unless the OP is spot feeding them they’re probably half-starving. That’s not nearly enough time to establish substrate and micro fauna from dry rock. It’s possible his tank hasn’t even cycled by the looks of it.

@WhitePanther93 any chance you can post your water params? Specifically nitrate and phosphate?

OP
OP
WhitePanther93

WhitePanther93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree, unless the OP is spot feeding them they’re probably half-starving. That’s not nearly enough time to establish substrate and micro fauna from dry rock. It’s possible his tank hasn’t even cycled by the looks of it.

@WhitePanther93 any chance you can post your water params? Specifically nitrate and phosphate?
At the moment my parameters might be useless. Due to an unfortunate accident part of my tank cracked, and yesterday was spent replumbing my now 29 gallon tank. but I will say my gaias have since opened back up. I believe it was a lighting issue as they opened back up as the lighting got brighter over the acclimation period.

Patman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is too new is not good information imo. What are your phosphate and nitrates looking like, in new tanks you may need to supplement nutrition, new rocks and growing bacteria colonies can soak up po4 within hours of introducing it.

OP
OP
WhitePanther93

WhitePanther93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

image.jpg

Lighting is a bit dark in here but

salinity: 1.023
ph: 7.8 ppm
Ammonia:0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 10~20 ppm
Phosphate: .25 ppm
Alkalinity:
image.jpg

calcium: 400 ppm
Magnesium: 1280 ppm

think I need a water change.

salinity is kinda low because I drip acclimated some livestock with too fast a drip for too long and my ato kicked in.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 132 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back