galaxy coral partially closed up

jdpeters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20g high reef with 150w MH for lightning. My galaxy coral isnt fulling extending and i had noticed it about a week ago not looking as well. I had this problem with this perticular coral before but it had since recovered. Anyone know any common problems with galaxy corals? I dont test my parameters and keep my salinity around 1.023-1.025 and temp stable. i moved it lower in the tank and made sure to inspect for pest but cant find any simple problems. thanks.

Marty.h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saying you dont test you other parameters is asking for trouble when keeping corals when you get an issue like this you need to run a set of tests and get an idea of what's going on without knowing your other parameters it will be hard for anyone to advise I'm afraid.

Is there any chance your LFS can do a full set of tests ?

OP
OP
jdpeters

jdpeters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they can, i have a api reef test kit. i know they are not terribly accurate. ever since my tank became stable and matured slightly i stopped testing for stuff. i have virtually no algae growth in the tank. ive tend to use that as my bench mark.

Marty.h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's ok for nitrates and phosphate but what about

Magnesium , Calcium ,KH , ect

And the other elements that are important to corals.

You can get away with things more in a FOWLR tank but when corals are present you need to monitor things and buffer if need be.

You need to grab yourself some Salifert kits or equivalent to test all the parameters this allows you to build up a picture of what's happening in your water.

Do you run carbon is there any chance a contaminant has got into the water.

What coral stock do you have ?

You should also test periodically when there is corals present if you wait till they nip up it could be to late to do anything and you going the right way for a tank crash by not testing :(

OP
OP
jdpeters

jdpeters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
currently running seachems seagel. i have mostly leathers mushrooms and lps. no sweepers or anything of that sort touching it. i will have to plan on testing for those other elements and keep a log.

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Galaxea corals are one of the hardiest and fastest growing lps you can get. If it is not doing well and water flow and lighting has not changed. You may have water perimeter problem. There are so many other variables other than phos and trates. Ph swing, alk, magnesium and calcium being balanced. We have all been there. It takes monitoring and balance.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna need those parameters, as LPS need the Cal and Alk in the right portions, they will also fall apart if you Nitrates get to high and phosphates get to high.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 31 21.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 106 73.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back