Gaping mouth on euphyllia

  • Thread starter Thread starter goody
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

goody

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
1,007
Reaction score
194
Location
Carlsbad, CA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple heads on my euphyllia colonies have gaping mouths. It almost looks like they are turning inside out. Should I be concerned or is this possibly a normal sign before splitting? I'm pretty new to LPS so any thoughts are appreciated. One head started about a week ago and the other in the past 2 days.
As of yesterday, parameters measured with Salifert kits.
Alk-7.7dkh
Ca-445
Mg-1340
Temp 77.9
pH 8.41
Will try and test po4 and Nitrates with Red Sea kit tomorrow.

PXL_20210315_222901461.MP.jpg PXL_20210315_222840835.MP.jpg
 
That bottom picture looks like a split. They look healthy and your water is great. How long have you had them?
 
I've had them both for a little more than a year. I also saw similar mouth in my octosopawn but I could also see a figure eight shape so I was pretty sure that it was splitting and now it has nearly completed the split and mouth is back to normal, but never got to the point of first photo.
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20210131_231347920.jpg
    PXL_20210131_231347920.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 87
any update on what happen?
one of mine is doing the same
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 20 22.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 27 30.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new