Gaping mouth scoly

ReefJCB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my scoly for a few years and dealt with some issues about a year and a half ago with receding tissue and mouth issues.

Was able to catch the culprit with a Aiptasia file fish that has been removed. Since then it’s been doing great.
A few (4-5) months, I noticed the gaping mouth come back. The scoly is still opening up and inflating well. The tissue looks great.. except around the mouth.
I’ve also noticed some kind of “junk” collecting in the mouth. I think maybe cyano but it’s been more compacted. I’ve been using a turkey baster to remove it in hopes that the tissue will recover. You can easily see the white skeleton on the inside after the junk has been removed but it comes back within a week.

Any ideas as to what could be going on?

Alk: 8.9
pH: 8.0-8.2
Ca: 370 (it’s low right now due to a dosing pump going out. But it been a pretty steady 425-450 for months)
Nitrate: 10-25
Phosphate: 0.10

Other inhabitants:
Pyramid butterfly
Clown fish
Lyretail Anthias
Solon wrasse
Ruby wrasse
Fire fish
Yellow tang
Mandarin
Cleaner shrimp

Haven’t noticed anyone picking at it, but it’s always a possibility.

Other scolys are doing well, and I haven’t noticed any issues with any other corals in the tank.

I would appreciate any feedback. I’m thinking of doing a hydrogen peroxide dip, maybe a iodine dip also.

1626015192331.jpeg

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t answer the specific question, but I can bump the thread to see if we can get you some help

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back