garf bag o bugs

JL15219

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the grunge is a different product more for seeding bacteria and such. The bugs are more about live stock.
Different purposes. Grunge is mostly sand and sludge with the purpose of introducing bacteria biodiversity rather than critters. For me it did wonders in getting my tank balanced during the initial setup. Bottled bacteria wasn't cutting it and I was having all sorts of problems.
Well my tank is already cycled so I guess I would need the critters more.....@NR53 what problems were you having?

Octocat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Garf suggested to me that the grunge is full of eggs and larva, and that it would explode with life after a few weeks. My experience was consistent with their claim. But, it also contained an assortment of pebbles and that most of us probably don't want in our display.

JL15219

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Garf suggested to me that the grunge is full of eggs and larva, and that it would explode with life after a few weeks. My experience was consistent with their claim. But, it also contained an assortment of pebbles and that most of us probably don't want in our display.
Where did you put it? If not in the display tank just curious....I'm looking into the ipsf but it is kind of pricey but if I can just the same thing with the garf stuff I was going to go with them but I'm still unsure LOL

Octocat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you put it? If not in the display tank just curious....I'm looking into the ipsf but it is kind of pricey but if I can just the same thing with the garf stuff I was going to go with them but I'm still unsure LOL
I have a large refugium that sits behind my display tank. The live rock was added long after the grunge.

Attachments

• 20210416_235633.jpg
    20210416_235633.jpg
    345.5 KB · Views: 60
  • 20210416_235608.jpg
    20210416_235608.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 65

NR53

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well my tank is already cycled so I guess I would need the critters more.....@NR53 what problems were you having?
Was having major dino problems with a new system and tried every other trick out there. I read a theory about how the lack of biodiversity today can be a root cause. In the earlier days when I was in the hobby (early 2000s), dinos were nowhere near as widespread, never had them myself with multiple systems. Back then though, getting wild live rock from Fiji and Tonga was the norm so it was packed centuries of biodiversity. The bottled stuff today are very specific bacteria cultures. Based on this theory, I gave Garf grunge a shot because it contained decades of growth and was seeded from a bunch of sources. Maybe coincidence, but dinos cleared up in 2 weeks.

DerekB4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking about buying some grunge. To add some good bacteria to my tank. Will I still be able to get a sand sifting goby?

I don’t have a lot of space in my refugium for it.

Octocat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was having major dino problems with a new system and tried every other trick out there. I read a theory about how the lack of biodiversity today can be a root cause. In the earlier days when I was in the hobby (early 2000s), dinos were nowhere near as widespread, never had them myself with multiple systems. Back then though, getting wild live rock from Fiji and Tonga was the norm so it was packed centuries of biodiversity. The bottled stuff today are very specific bacteria cultures. Based on this theory, I gave Garf grunge a shot because it contained decades of growth and was seeded from a bunch of sources. Maybe coincidence, but dinos cleared up in 2 weeks.
Funny you should mention dinos because that was my reason for adding the grunge, then the live rock. In my case, it was not as effective. I did eventually beat the dinos by keeping nitrate and phosephate levels above 0 after using a UV sterilizer for a few weeks.

Octocat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking about buying some grunge. To add some good bacteria to my tank. Will I still be able to get a sand sifting goby?

I don’t have a lot of space in my refugium for it.
I don't think you'd want to use grunge for your entire substrate. If adding to a refugium is not an option, consider throwing it in the back of your tank hidden behind some rocks. Then, you can use whatever best for your goby in the rest do the tank.

JL15219

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large refugium that sits behind my display tank. The live rock was added long after the grunge.
Oh wow yeah you have a bunch of stuff on that live rock looks cool but all that came with the live rock? Could the grunge maybe be added to a mess bag and put into the filtration area?

Octocat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow yeah you have a bunch of stuff on that live rock looks cool but all that came with the live rock? Could the grunge maybe be added to a mess bag and put into the filtration area?
The grunge produced a lot of amphipods, bristleworms, and microstars. But, yeah, the live rock has far more visible biodiversity.

Some of the grunge is pretty fine, so I'm not sure how well a mesh bag would contain it. If you have room, a plastic tray could work similar to how some people use miracle mud.

JL15219

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The grunge produced a lot of amphipods, bristleworms, and microstars. But, yeah, the live rock has far more visible biodiversity.

Some of the grunge is pretty fine, so I'm not sure how well a mesh bag would contain it. If you have room, a plastic tray could work similar to how some people use miracle mud.
Plastic tray? In the tank? Which grunge did you get original or plus? I would like some of those critters. So basically grunge gives you eggs and bag o bugs basically gives you actual critters?

Octocat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plastic tray? In the tank? Which grunge did you get original or plus? I would like some of those critters. So basically grunge gives you eggs and bag o bugs basically gives you actual critters?
Yes, in the tank. Of course, you need to select a plastic that is reef safe: http://www.3reef.com/threads/reef-safe-plastics-leaching-myths-facts.57828/

I got the original. Being honest, I threw away the entire contents of the bag o bugs since I already had plenty of chaeto at that time. But, sounds like others had better luck than me.

Back