Toadstool Waxy Appearance

Pearsonn60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I’m relatively new to the hobby and I have a 40g Fiji peninsula tank. The tank has been cycled and has been doing quite well!

Tank parameters are normal:
Temp: 78.8 degree
Nitrates: 5ppm
Phosphate: 0.02ppm
Ph: 8

I have a leather coral that was absolutely thriving but it has recently closed up and developed a waxy coating. I was reading online that it could be “shedding”. Could someone please help me confirm this? I’m worried it might be dying and it’s one of my favorite corals. I used a pipet yesterday to try to blow off some of the “shedding” which I read about online. A thin film came off and the polyps came out. Today I got home from work and it was closed up again. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I have 2 torch corals, an Alveopora, a green star polyup, and a bubble tip anemone. All of my other corals seem to be thriving.

IMG_7521.jpeg
IMG_7451.jpeg

WalkerLovesTheOcean

"Just keeps swimming!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't tell from the pictures, but from what you are saying, yes, it's shedding. Make sure it's getting enough flow and it will be back to normal soon.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

Pearsonn60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for the quick replies! I moved the toadstool to a spot with slightly higher flow. This seems to help it remove the shedding layer! Hopefully in a few days it's back to normal!

Upvote 0

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 139 42.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 114 35.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back