0   0   0
Project Goals
  1. Mixed reef tank
  2. Focus on coral, not fish
  3. Low maintenance with easy water changes
  4. Extendability-- Easy to add equipment as necessary
Materials List

Overview
This will be my first saltwater tank, which of course means it will be my first reef tank! From the perspective of someone coming from the freshwater side, the number of different equipment options and approaches available to reefers can be overwhelming. As such, I'm going to try to keep things as simple as possible and stick with what has worked for me and my freshwater tanks.

Approach

Based on my experience with freshwater tanks, keeping maintenance simple and to a minimum is critical to my long-term success. Water changes should easy to perform and maintaining water level between water changes should be automated. Other routine maintenance should be automated whenever possible.

Since this is my first reef tank, creating a space where I can grow different types of coral and experiment is preferable to creating the "perfect" aqua scape. At least for the first iteration of the tank! Keeping the number of fishes in the tank low has been another key to success on the freshwater side, and I assume it's no different in a reef tank. Fewer mouths to feed means less nutrients added to the water during feeding time!

Tank

Originally, I had planned to pickup a Nuvo 100-Ext. However, a few weeks ago, I stumbled onto SC Aquariums website to find a 150 gallon euro-braced aquarium for a great price. It almost seemed too good to be true-- a chance to save some money and get a bigger tank! After a few hours of research, I went ahead and made the purchase since it was on sale ($150.00 off their normal price).

The purchase of the tank was very smooth. I requested shipping to be delayed since I was going to be out of town, and this was no problem for SC Aquariums. The shipper contacted me with a delivery window a couple days before hand, and the driver contacted me the day of delivery with an even smaller delivery window. He also had no problems getting the tank into my garage which saved me a lot of hassle (I did pay extra for liftgate service at delivery).

My initial impression is the tank looks great. No chipping or damage to any of the glass. Panel alignment is spot on and silicone is well done and clean. It's also drilled for a ghost overflow and has a black background already applied. Overall, these tanks seem like an excellent value-- the cost was only about $150.00 more than what I was quoted for a standard Aqueon RR 120 from a LFS. And it was delivered directly to my garage! Amazing!

Tank Location

The tank will be going into my soon to be drywalled den. The wall space is about 11 feet long and I have 28 inches depth to my back door (see picture). The room is not that big, and I previously had a 75 gallon here that seemed a bit big for my taste. So, what was the solution? Replace with a bigger tank of course! Seriously though, I plan to use an open stand to hopefully help the room feel a little less crowded.

The look I am going for in terms of the stand:

f1.jpg

*Borrowed from ReefSavvy website.

Another advantage of this location is the wall backs up to my laundry room. I will place the sump and equipment here. This has some great advantages, but a few limitations as well.

Advantages:

-A lot more space an aquarium cabinet!
-Exterior wall that already has overflow drain for hot water heater pan.
-Close to junction box if electrical work is needed.
-Freshwater supply and drain available.
-Exhaust vent already available through roof.

Disadvantages:

-Water heater and saltwater is a bit scary. Will likely need an enclosure for the heater.
-Somewhat limited space directly behind tank. 4.5 feet max width.
-Room must still must function as laundry room. Noise is not a big concern but electricity usage and humidity could be a problem?

Well, I think that's enough for now. Let me know if tl;dr! I am going to add more posts with details on my plans for the sump and equipment needs. I also have a product review coming that anyone looking to save money might find useful!

Last edited:

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a great plan John and looking forward to the pictures, very nice write up

And welcome to R2R as well!

OP
OP
Octocat

Octocat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! Thanks for the kind words!!!

As promised, I have a review of the cheap dry rock I recently purchased to share! Of course, cheaping out on dry rock is pretty risky-- it cannot be easily replaced like a protein skimmer, for example. Ultimately, I decided to take the risk for a couple reasons. First, I am not looking to create an amazing aquascape, or even one that will be in the tank for a long time. The goal is just to create a variety of different spaces where I can experiment with different species of coral. Second, there are a lot of mixed reviews for the other (more expensive) options I considered. And let's be honest, who wants to spend money on dry rock? I'd rather save the cash for the good stuff!

Anyways, on to the rock. Please keep in mind this is my first dry rock, so I have nothing to compare it with. The rocks are sold in 40 pound boxes for a bit over a dollar a pound. And you really do get a box of rocks-- the only additional packing was a plastic bag, so a rough time in shipping could cause you to get smaller rocks than expected. But, that could happen anyways because the variety of sizes in each box was not consistent. One of the boxes contained all larger rocks (8 inch + length), and one of the others was nothing but smaller rocks. The other two boxes were more varied, but overall, most of the rocks were on the larger side. Probably not the best option for someone with a smaller tank unless you are willing to break it up. On the positive side, the rock is pretty clean, which is great since some of the negative reviews suggested a lot of cleaning would be required.

Overall, I am happy with the purchase as I am confident they will meet my needs. I think anyone else with a larger tank who is looking to save some money and isn't too picky should consider doing the same! It's available on Amazon from a company called Worldwide Imports.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Octocat

Octocat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh, I cannot believe it's been 9 months since I updated this thread! Luckily, the build is actually far from dead- I just move very slowly. Maybe I should have a disclaimer in the original post:confused:

The good news is, things are starting to picking up. I want to start adding corals by Christmas so to do a four month cycle, now is the time to start.

Over the last 9 months, the room where the aquarium will eventually live has been finished. I've also managed to collect quite a bit of equipment:p

A couple things you might notice:

First, is the Penguin chiller. I realize these have fallen out of fashion, but last summer my ac went out for several days and the temperate in the house reached 96 degrees very quickly! So, this will provide some peace of mind. The manufacturer recommends it be placed indoors with proper ventilation, so that is what I will be doing.

Next, is the metal halide hybrid light. I decided to go this route for its simplicity. The fact that I got a good deal on a Giesemann Infiniti fixture helped too! I will likely eventually go to LED but for now, I just wasn't blown away by any of the current offerings.

Right now, I am in the process of building a stand to go behind the display tank to house all the equipment. I'll keep you guys updated!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the update! Glad to know that you're making progress - slow is okay!

OP
OP
Octocat

Octocat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to your build! Ive been looking at purchasing this exact tank myself. I had their 66g and was very happy with the quality overall.

OP
OP
Octocat

Octocat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you guys are enjoying the build! With a little luck, I should have the tank filled by end of day tomorrow, but most likely it'll happen later next week.

I managed to finish the sump stand, and overall, I am happy with how it turned out. Nothing fancy- just your standard 2x4 stand with some modifications to hold two tanks.

Let's get started! I ended up using a few additional scrap 2x4s and some 1/2 inch plywood for the shelving. Everything is held together with a combination of 2.5 and 3.5 inch #10 wood screws. 2 inch 18 gauge nails were used to attach the plywood.

I started off making two supports for the tanks. Each measures 22 inches wide by 37 inches long. The extra width is needed because the tanks are the same width and one will sit below the other as pictured here:

The inner supports are 48 inches long and the outers are 55 inches long. This places the bottom of the top tank right at the top of the display tank. The plan is to pump water into the top sump tank, let it drain into the display tank, then finally back into the lower sump.

Everything mocked up its final spot. Both tanks have been drilled in preparation for plumbing. We're getting close now!

I just mounted all the electrical to side of the stand. Eventually, the reefpi will live in MarineDepot controller box and will allow me to control the a/c outlets. Not pictured is a cable raceway mounted to the back to keep the power cables tidy.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back