GARF Grunge for Biodiversity?

Pisanoal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered some GARF Grunge recently, due to reading several articles on people's battles with dino's and going through that myself. Seems in the cases i read about, when adding a good source of diversity, it helps significantly in the fight.

My question is has anyone ordered grunge lately? Are there any negatives to what is in there? I've been looking around and can't find anyone that says "I got xyz from grunge" (aptasia, flatworms, etc). I've seen a few posts of "I know of people who got xyz", but only a few and never any first hand accounts to be able to question what else they added and if they knew it was from grunge. I have aptasia already unfortunately so no concern there. Flatworms aren't a huge deal as FWE works great, but it does seem counter-intuitive to add a bunch of diversity only to add a chemical that will likely kill a bunch of it.

They also send Chaeto, their bag-o-bugs as they call it, with the grunge. So experiences with that would be relavant.

Thanks

OP
OP
P

Pisanoal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. It's too late. It came early and it's in the tank. I haven't found many negative reviews so we will see how it goes. I inspected it briefly and looked ok.

A sea K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost ordered some yesterday and have decided to wait for a bit so I'm quite interested to hear some first hand user experiences.

OP
OP
P

Pisanoal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update?
I haven't seen any negatives at all. It also didn't do much to much dinos unfortunately. Not to say it won't work for some, but didn't work for me. Probably a good took to use along with several others. If you are concerned about hitchhikers, I didn't notice any come in. To be fair, I already had vermetids and aptasia so I wouldn't notice those.

csb123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1DDE3EF7-6415-4909-800E-CB0358C5941D.jpeg
87D68568-80C1-46D2-9FB6-DE923D746DD2.jpeg
45301FA0-F33B-4ED3-9DCE-998F8A86CFF6.jpeg

I ordered 20 lb of the GARF grunge plus last week. It has no pests that I’ve seen. I did see amphipods and copepods scooting around and a few tiny bristle worms (the good kind.) The fine sand/mud that came with it, smelled like it came out of the ocean with a “under the board walk” funk. I had no adverse reactions when I put it in my system.

OP
OP
P

Pisanoal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't take any pics, but i got the regular grunge. Same silty mud stuff, but the actual product was pretty nice looking. I have reef flakes so very uniform particle size and color. I was concerned i wouldn't like the "junk" that was in the grunge (large particle size pieces, and dark pieces). I like that small amount of variation it added. Most of what i got was similar in size to the bottom of the bag of previous poster with a couple handfuls of dime to quarter sized shells and rocks mixed in.

A sea K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grunge + plus was what I was considering and it looks pretty good (thanks for the pics csb123). Went ahead and ordered some just to help increase the biodiversity in my system.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 73 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back