Garibaldi

saleen385

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did read the pinned thread Difficult and Special Care Species List. I would like to know if anyone has first hand experience? I would love to have one but don't want to create a problem in the tank. So if anyone has ever kept one or is still keeping one please lend your experience.

Thanks,
Jim

ebushrow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jim,
I have had several over the years.....they are beautiful fish but meaner than sin....they make maroon clowns look docile...every time my hand would go into the tank they would attach it and as they got bigger actually drew blood and skin chunks....they would be good for a species tank where water changes could be done safely without needing your hands in the tank too long. This is just my experience with them, as always, someone will say they had no problems etc...kind of like pit bulls...these are definantly the pit bull of the fish world...outside of sharks that is

OP
OP
saleen385

saleen385

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ebush, thanks that's kinda what I thought. To bad though they add some nice color to the tank.

Jim

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping this old thread, these are quite beautiful fish. I know they get very mean the more they mature. Does anyone else have anything to add about these guys?

wkscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grew up in Monterey and used to catch these occasionally while fishing. They are mean and can get quite large.
These fish range from Monterey Bay in the north to San Diego in the south. Monterey Bay has a temp of about 50°F so I doubt that the fish will appreciate high water temperatures found in tropical reef tanks.

This is also the official State of California marine fish and as such is protected under state law. Owning one, unless sourced from outside of California, is probably illegal.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 110 76.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back