Gas bubble

Shorething

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Male has gas bubble in his pouch. Does anyone have any advise or diamox?

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's pretty easy to fix. Hold the seahorse and gently squeeze upwards from the bottom of the pouch. You should see bubbles jump out as if from an air pump.

OP
OP
S

Shorething

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I did that. I used a Bobby pin as well and got alot of air out. He was getting stressed and I stopped the process. But he is still a little buoyant.

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DO NOT USE THE SQUEEZE METHOD to remove pouch gas. OPEN UP THE POUCH as already mentioned, with a rubber tipped bobby pin or a cannula and allow for gas to escape fully. It may take repeated treatments. Also check husbandry because this is often caused by deteriorating water condtions.

OP
OP
S

Shorething

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I have 5 other ponies without problems and my water quality is spot on. I quarantine each of my ponies for a couple of weeks before they go in the main tank. Also I know not to squeeze the pouch. I use the bobby pin method.

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, in my 18 years of seahorse keeping, I've never found a way to determine when my water quality is getting to the point it's causing seahorse problems.
THERE ARE NO TEST KITS available to the hobbyist to tell us when the water quality is degrading to the point bacterial problems are going to happen. (things like dissolved organics) You can test for all elements you have kits for, and the basic three ammonia tests and it still will NOT give you that information. That is why we have to be pro-active, not re-active in our husbandry practices. Pouch emphysema is often the precursor to letting you know you may be in for more major problems coming up.
As for having others with no pouch emphysema, that is entirely probable.
Seahorses, like people, have varying levels of immunity, with some seeming to never get sick, and others seeming to be continually problematic. Others will fall somewhere in between those points but with seahorses most will be closer to the problem end than the good end.

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If so, then the problem is far different than I had imagined from your posting.
If indeed there is gas under the surface and it's above the pouch, then it is an internal situation, often caused by organ failure and with being able to see it exactly, the probable treatment would be Diamox in a ten gallon tank with heavy open ended aeration. DO NOT PIERCE THE SKIN to release the gas as it then could end up with a bacterial infection as well.

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normally needs a prescription so ask your vet if they can help you out. Other than that, post on Seahorse Source's Group on Facebook and someone might be able to help you out.
Do you have a picture that shows clearly this gas above the pouch?

OP
OP
S

Shorething

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No you really can't see bubbles in his chest but he is definitely buoyant. I really dont have a vet. I was hoping someone could spare some diamox.

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most times if it is a buoyancy problem and NOT PE, then it is visible.
Over many years, I've had PE occasions where I though I had all the gas out even after several attempts, but would finally realize that even though the pouch DIDN'T seem to have any gas left in it, there still was enough that it made the seahorse buoyant. Use a rubber tipped bobby pin to open the pouch and then insert an cannula filled with new salt water matching temp and pH of tank water and flush the pouch with force on the plunger and that often will dislodge the remaining gas, if not on the first attempt, on a subsequent one.

OP
OP
S

Shorething

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I am using a Bobby Pin daily. I have not tried to irrigate the pouch yet. I will try that when I get home.
Thanks again

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back