Gate valves and adjustable pumps

Theulli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the aquarium manufacturer for my new tank states you *need* a gate valve on the return line. My understanding is that the gate valve is for tuning the rate of return....is this necessary if you have a return pump that is GPH adjustable? Seems like they would both accomplish the same thing.

Thanks!

OP
OP
T

Theulli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you need both, otherwise your drain will be real loud
Interesting, and this is not a quibble I am just trying to understand. How does reducing the flow via a gate valve affect the drain noise in a way reducing the flow by adjusting the pump doesn’t?

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the aquarium manufacturer for my new tank states you *need* a gate valve on the return line. My understanding is that the gate valve is for tuning the rate of return....is this necessary if you have a return pump that is GPH adjustable? Seems like they would both accomplish the same thing.

Thanks!
I mean.... why listen to Mfgr recommendations anyway?

Surprise Explode GIF by Channel 7

CK00020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on what type of drain you are running, it gives you a full suction with a trickle going down the secondary. When I first set mine up the valve was wide open, you get lots of air mixed with water which is noisy. My wife said is that thing always going to be that loud

OP
OP
T

Theulli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on what type of drain you are running, it gives you a full suction with a trickle going down the secondary. When I first set mine up the valve was wide open, you get lots of air mixed with water which is noisy. My wife said is that thing always going to be that loud
Aha! This is what I was missing. I had thought they wanted the gate valve on the return line. This makes much more sense. Thank you!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back