Gem tang listing on eBay

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1460639451.608790.jpg

Came across this listing on eBay. Seems too good to be true. Apparently it's a collector in the Mauritius islands. If u click on the info it says you can buy gem tangs direct for 799. Has anyone used this place?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What's the link?

IxTCxI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It'll be nice if the seller is legit. Then we can do a group buy.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like he's shipping from another country. So that shipping cost is most likely legit for overnight

Aquarium Art

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look at the seller's information it says they're an exporter in the mauritius islands... thats asking for trouble. They're going to drop ship it to you from a wholesaler....

Aquarium Art

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like he's shipping from another country. So that shipping cost is most likely legit for overnight
Thats not how importing fish works sadly. To get a fish from those islands takes like 3 days(two days to get in the US one for overnight shipping).....
So they're going to send it to a wholesaler I HOPE then they drop ship it to your door. So it would take at least a couple extra days OR you're getting a bag with a dead fish. Its a hardy fish but not that hardy

OP
OP
tj w

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've sent them a message asking some questions about shipping,size, and eating habits and this is what I got so far.

It is drop shipped from a whole seller. They guy sent a video of a gem eating nori. Which doesn't tell me too much. Also said he had three in stock I could choose from. 3",2.5", and a 2" one. I am kind of skeptical about it. They do have a DOA refund guarantee but I'm still skeptical because they have no feed back.

OP
OP
tj w

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, but eBay has a money back guarantee as well if you don't get the item you paid for.

ddiver

Fragging Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
from what I know about these Gem Tangs ,its that there's only one family or group of people in Mauritius responsible for the collection and importation of them... so if this is their listing , they're now cutting out and directly competing with their own customers who are basically the wholesalers here in the states....which to me is not a huge surprise considering our wholesalers have tossed all business ethics out the window and selling to anybody with a business license and charging nearly retail for some corals......this is how I know our beloved hobby is screwed.....and this is just my opinion so take it for what its worth, I'm not looking for a debate or argument...

Justin D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've sent them a message asking some questions about shipping,size, and eating habits and this is what I got so far.

It is drop shipped from a whole seller. They guy sent a video of a gem eating nori. Which doesn't tell me too much. Also said he had three in stock I could choose from. 3",2.5", and a 2" one. I am kind of skeptical about it. They do have a DOA refund guarantee but I'm still skeptical because they have no feed back.
It looks like they opened there account this year this may be there first sale

Fish Biscuit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are going to have to clear the fish with US Customs & Fish & Wildlife.

You will need an import permit with FWS. I don't know how quickly you can get one & there are also user fees for every shipment you import. I believe you might need a tax Id number as well, not sure that you can use your ss number for importing purposes anymore.

If you are unable to do this the fish will be seized & donated to an aquarium.

I am a customs broker & have cleared live fish & corals.

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a 2008 audi r8 (Dream car!) on ebay starting at $16K
People put low starting prices because they know people will bid high.

OP
OP
tj w

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are going to have to clear the fish with US Customs & Fish & Wildlife.

You will need an import permit with FWS. I don't know how quickly you can get one & there are also user fees for every shipment you import. I believe you might need a tax Id number as well, not sure that you can use your ss number for importing purposes anymore.

If you are unable to do this the fish will be seized & donated to an aquarium.

I am a customs broker & have cleared live fish & corals.
They will be shipping to a whole seller first and then the whole seller will drop ship. So no need to go and get any permits for that. It would be on the whole seller. Which was stated earlier in the thread. Thanks

Bradw18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
eBay and PayPal both have money back guarantees. Hard to get screwed if you know what your doing. Ask the seller questions and ask about a money back guarantee on doa. Maybe even have a video posted of the fish before shipping

OP
OP
tj w

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
eBay and PayPal both have money back guarantees. Hard to get screwed if you know what your doing. Ask the seller questions and ask about a money back guarantee on doa. Maybe even have a video posted of the fish before shipping
I totally agree, he sent a video of it eating some nori and has been responsive to all questions I have asked. Going to give it a try. He also said you can buy them direct for 799.

deerhunter06

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally agree, he sent a video of it eating some nori and has been responsive to all questions I have asked. Going to give it a try. He also said you can buy them direct for 799.
So would you then need a permit, If you bought it direct for 799?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back