Gem Tang

SurfTrack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 100 gallon red sea reef tank with a 5 inch yellow tang and I am planning on purchasing a 2.5 inch gem tang. I know that this fish will eventually need to be upgraded to a bigger tank and I will make that happen when the time comes. I am only wondering for now, will it work?

Thanks

tank of gems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fyi your yellow tang may sure a lot of aggression towards the gem so be careful. I have 6 tangs in my 400 gallon display. My gem tang was the last tang in the tank but I had him in a isolation box inside my display for 3 months and when I finally decided to release the Gem my yellow showed some aggression for a few days. So just watch them very closely and good luck when the prize gem when it arrives
Gem tang
Show size sohal tang
Orange shoulder tang
Purple tang
Desjardini sailfin tang
Yellow tang.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should certainly be prepared for aggression from the yellow tang. It may be fine but have a plan in case it’s not. I added a gem to my tank a couple of years ago. Similar sized yellow was fine but my purple was a major problem. Had to banish it to the frag tank for a month. They mostly tolerate each other now.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a recipe for disaster, small tank and introducing a very expensive gem tang with one that’s surely going to antagonize it relentlessly with no where for the gem tang to go. I personally wouldn’t take that gamble even in a much larger system.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Agreed... that tank is too small for 2 tangs. Post the yellow on craigslist for $50 or upgrade to 200gal+ first. May I ask what's stopping you from upgrading your tank size now? I would hope you would have the money considering you are about to drop $700 on a fish.

joe0813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
playing what if here..... If you get another smaller yellow and make sure the gem is a decent size then you MIGHT be ok. It could help spread out aggression enough. Maybe also try moving rocks around, take out the current yellow out, rescape the tank and then introducing them all at once. I think if youre going to do it this would be your best bet

zapbap99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gem tangs are only 300-400$ now online, i would only do gem tang alone due to aggression, sometimes you get lucky i know people with 100 gallon tanks with many tangs in it thriving

TheKylersFire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say go for it. I’d do an acclimation box for a few days or better yet catch your yellow and keep him in a box or another tank for. Week or two while your gem gets settled. If they show aggression watch it play out and rehome one. While tangs are sometimes aggressive towards each other I’ve found gems to be in their own league. Don’t bother anyone but don’t take anyone’s crap

joe0813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say go for it. I’d do an acclimation box for a few days or better yet catch your yellow and keep him in a box or another tank for. Week or two while your gem gets settled. If they show aggression watch it play out and rehome one. While tangs are sometimes aggressive towards each other I’ve found gems to be in their own league. Don’t bother anyone but don’t take anyone’s crap

My gem was a wimp

OP
OP
SurfTrack

SurfTrack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed... that tank is too small for 2 tangs. Post the yellow on craigslist for $50 or upgrade to 200gal+ first. May I ask what's stopping you from upgrading your tank size now? I would hope you would have the money considering you are about to drop $700 on a fish.
Too much work to upgrade an entire tank especially right now in quarantine.

OP
OP
SurfTrack

SurfTrack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to try. I wouldn't consider my yellow tang to be a bully he's seen small powder browns and tomini tangs in my last smaller tank (REHOMED) and had no issue with either of them and they were bigger than a 2 inch gem.

OP
OP
SurfTrack

SurfTrack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gem tangs are only 300-400$ now online, i would only do gem tang alone due to aggression, sometimes you get lucky i know people with 100 gallon tanks with many tangs in it thriving
I purchased one with a blemish for $699 for a couple hundred dollar discount. Im only doing this because I have seen how my YT reacts to fish off the gems size and color. And if anything happens I will move the gem to the refugium temporarily and attempt to sell it.

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely use an acclimation box . Despite your yellow tang being fine with the past Tomimi & Powder Brown. The gem is a Zebrasoma like the yellow. Also as tangs mature they can get more territorial. You don’t know how your yellow could react, so protect the Gem in an acc box.

Drendo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 180 galling tank, which includes a Naso and Zebra Tang. I tried to introduce a gem tang a couple of weeks ago and my Zebra tried to kill it. I’m not talking about aggression, that fish wanted the Gem Tang dead! I had to take the Gem Tang out and gave him to a buddy.

Get rid of the yellow and keep the Gem. It’s a no brainer. Gem tangs are amazing!

OP
OP
SurfTrack

SurfTrack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 180 galling tank, which includes a Naso and Zebra Tang. I tried to introduce a gem tang a couple of weeks ago and my Zebra tried to kill it. I’m not talking about aggression, that fish wanted the Gem Tang dead! I had to take the Gem Tang out and gave him to a buddy.

Get rid of the yellow and keep the Gem. It’s a no brainer. Gem tangs are amazing!
Im just hoping that doesn't happen, but we'll just have to wait and see

OP
OP
SurfTrack

SurfTrack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely use an acclimation box . Despite your yellow tang being fine with the past Tomimi & Powder Brown. The gem is a Zebrasoma like the yellow. Also as tangs mature they can get more territorial. You don’t know how your yellow could react, so protect the Gem in an acc box.
You are right, I am about to go pick one up.

OP
OP
SurfTrack

SurfTrack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an idea, would it be possible to put a small pvc pipe in the tank that's big enough for the gem tang to hide but not the yellow. Would that help?

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an idea, would it be possible to put a small pvc pipe in the tank that's big enough for the gem tang to hide but not the yellow. Would that help?
If you are going to try them together the Gem needs to stay in the acc box for a few days. You need to be sure there is no aggression. An acc box would prevent injury or worse.

If you mean using a small PVC instead of an acc box, no it won't substitute. If things go south the yellow could kill the Gem
before it escaped to the PVC. Also you never want to release a fish where is has to stay hidden & stressed. One fish simply would need to be rehomed.

If you mean the scenario where the fish get along well (no aggression) after using an acc box, then a small PVC would be fine.

TBH putting them together (despite the fact the Gem is a baby) would be too risky for me. Especially because of the size of the tank, 2 Zebrasomas** & the Gem is too tiny to defend itself. **Same species tangs are usually tried in odd #s to try to curb aggression (so they don't focus on 1 on 1 sparring).

Whenever members post warnings & cautions, just keep in mind it is because they have been through a bad situation themselves. I had a Whitetail Bristletooth in a 300 gal that turned murderous after it matured & it was not with any other Ctenochaetus tangs. Tangs are territorial by nature. So if you are going to try them together use the acc box & let us know how it worked. I had a Gem Tang & it had a great temperament.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 39 22.3%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 103 58.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back