Gen5 lower cover crack.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Badzmaru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I also got a brand new Gen5 with a crack in the lower cover. I’ve been told that’ll they send me a replacement cover to fix it myself. So my question is... l’m no electrical engineer so if l was to fix this myself and cause a short circuit or further damage to the unit will Ecotech warrant further fixes or a complete replacement light caused by my dodgy workmanship? The instructions do look simple enough but concerned by doing this replacement myself, it may cause support issues In the future.

If I didn’t have to open the unit myself then its very clear if its a genuine fault that Ecotech will accept. I just don’t want to be in a position where If anything else that happens in the future and Ecotech is not willing to warrant a replacement or fix just because we opened the unit up? The light is alot of money and i prefer to have this assurance For piece of mind...

This is like buying a brand new top of the range iphone and upon opening up the box you find a cracked screen and then Apple says we’ll send you a replacement screen and instructions to replace the screen...

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty sure they will honor it because they knew they messed up big time on this one.

Last edited by a moderator:

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hi, I also got a brand new Gen5 with a crack in the lower cover. I’ve been told that’ll they send me a replacement cover to fix it myself. So my question is... l’m no electrical engineer so if l was to fix this myself and cause a short circuit or further damage to the unit will Ecotech warrant further fixes or a complete replacement light caused by my dodgy workmanship? The instructions do look simple enough but concerned by doing this replacement myself, it may cause support issues In the future.

If I didn’t have to open the unit myself then its very clear if its a genuine fault that Ecotech will accept. I just don’t want to be in a position where If anything else that happens in the future and Ecotech is not willing to warrant a replacement or fix just because we opened the unit up? The light is alot of money and i prefer to have this assurance For piece of mind...

This is like buying a brand new top of the range iphone and upon opening up the box you find a cracked screen and then Apple says we’ll send you a replacement screen and instructions to replace the screen...
I don't think any clear answer has been posted by anyone from ETM on the possible future repair/responsibility.
I do agree it's not right to have to repair and brand new high end product.
They say they will get the replacement cases out asap, but it took them 8 weeks to get them to ship 3 of them to me.
There are several places here on R2R that this has been talked about.
I'm surprised at the amount of people who are ok with doing the repairs themselves.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think any clear answer has been posted by anyone from ETM on the possible future repair/responsibility.
I do agree it's not right to have to repair and brand new high end product.
They say they will get the replacement cases out asap, but it took them 8 weeks to get them to ship 3 of them to me.
There are several places here on R2R that this has been talked about.
I'm surprised at the amount of people who are ok with doing the repairs themselves.
Imo def not acceptable. I understand this flaw was not intentional but this is supposedly a high end items that costs a fortune and should come with quality. When this problem arise, I think ecotech needs to do a better job to compensate the time loss and hassle to the customers.

people obliges to do on their own because they don’t want to wait weeks perhaps months.

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I had the cracked screw issue creep up after a few weeks. Contacted them and they took care of shipping ASAP. Very, very simple with an easy to follow video that they posted on YouTube. Many things in this hobby are not "out of the box". Just take your time, and the repair is nothing (put a plastic bin cover over the tank to use as a work surface!) Warranty is addressed on the support page (bottom):

100% prefer them acting fast, sending the part with quick shipping, posting clear picture directions and a video to get everyone back up and running fast. Oh and during a pandemic.

Bob Weigant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered my first one. In total I will order 3. If it comes damaged in anyway I am not fixing anything. They will get it back to fix

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 31 79.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.7%
Back