General Cure and Wrasses

Blueseatex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have two wrasses in general cure. I'll post the videos as I have been documenting the process for other reasons other than treating wrasse with general cure. They are in a 70 gallon fowlr along with 5 other fish.

I have one female and one male splendid leopard wrasse
(Macropharyngodon bipartitus)

The female has been with me for three years. The male was added on March 29th. He came in in terrible shape. Had both flukes and worms. He literally came out of the bag with white stringy poop hanging.

I started treatment of general cure on Friday March 31. The first video I could get of him was on Sunday morning. He was in the sand since coming in on wed. March 29. He looked a lot better than when he went in the tank. I didn't expect him to live at all. I have seen no ill effects on either wrasse for treatment 1. The second treatment will be today. Wednesday April, 5.

swensos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates from March/April on the success?

Also, how long do you feed the Metro/Focus?

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspected internal parasites in a clown that went through 8 weeks of qt. Prazi, metro in water, metro in food. Symptoms vanished and at end of qt she went to dt. Few weeks later I noticed the stringy poo and fed metro/focus laced pellets to all inhabitants. No noticeable ill effects on my Lubbock's wrasse

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, left out vitals.
Dosed metro/focus per instructions on container.
Fed once a day for a total of 2 or 3 weeks. I don't remember.. Was a few months ago.
Long term effects;
Guillermo, my wiley Lubbock's wrasse, is doing quite well. He's even the tank boss lol

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw this thread and had a question, so I'll resurrect. First, I recently quarantined C. Ryukyuensis and C. Rubeus with two doses of GC, 6 days apart, with the water change on day 5 of the first treatment and on day 7 of the second treatment. Both were fine. I have also treated intestinal parasites in C. Ryukyuensis with GC/Focus medicated food with no issues.

However, I recently had a problem similar to what Evolved listed earlier except it was before starting any medication. I had C. Esquisitius, C. Isosceles, and H. Melanurus in quarantine. The three were added together and began eating within a day, though Isosceles never fed aggressively. After a few days, I noticed that all still seemed reclusive. None of the fish stayed up in the water column for long, and Esquisitius and Melanurus would dart out for food, while Isosceles seemed lethargic and would slowly pick at food. Maybe 4 or 5 days in, I found Esquisitius dead first thing one morning which surprised me because the fish had eaten every feeding (3x per day), including the evening before. I realized that Isosceles was also deteriorating. Due to my physical handicap, I'm somewhat limited on what I can do with dips and such and really can't observe much more than behavior with my quarantine setup so I decided to treat for flukes with GC and start ramping up copper. Isosceles died late the next day, but Melanurus seemed to be less reclusive. Today is day 5 of treatment, and Melanurus is still feeding. I'll do a water change tomorrow and will re-dose GC on Wednesday, which leads me to my question:

I've quarantined all of my fish with two rounds of GC. Oddly, those fish that show noticeable appetite suppression (most), show the greatest suppression at the end of day 3. Typically, things slowly get better day 4 and by the end of day 5 or day 6, the fish are feeding normally. My guess is that the powdered Prazi takes longer to dissolve, but I'm only guessing. If I'm correct, a water change after 48 hours might be counter productive. I would like to do a sooner water change with this wrasse for the second round of GC, I'm just worried I might shoot myself in the foot changing the water too soon. Thoughts?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've quarantined all of my fish with two rounds of GC. Oddly, those fish that show noticeable appetite suppression (most), show the greatest suppression at the end of day 3. Typically, things slowly get better day 4 and by the end of day 5 or day 6, the fish are feeding normally. My guess is that the powdered Prazi takes longer to dissolve, but I'm only guessing. If I'm correct, a water change after 48 hours might be counter productive. I would like to do a sooner water change with this wrasse for the second round of GC, I'm just worried I might shoot myself in the foot changing the water too soon. Thoughts?

The powder does take longer to dissolve, unless you use vodka or some other ethanol alcohol to aid with this. Which is counterproductive if you are using GC to avoid a bacterial bloom when combining it with other meds. But I still think you'd be fine doing a water change 48 hrs after dosing. Prazi only needs a few hours of exposure time to work it's magic.

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The powder does take longer to dissolve, unless you use vodka or some other ethanol alcohol to aid with this. Which is counterproductive if you are using GC to avoid a bacterial bloom when combining it with other meds. But I still think you'd be fine doing a water change 48 hrs after dosing. Prazi only needs a few hours of exposure time to work it's magic.

Great info. Thanks!

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed GC into a QT with a Carpenter's flasher and tail spot blenny yesterday morning. Within an hour the wrasse was swimming near the surface constantly which was unusual for him. I quickly added a power head that is pointed at the surface and within a few hours the wrasse was back to swimming around normally. Blenny never seemed affected. Wrasse has still eaten just fine and is acting normal today. Planning on a 25% water change tomorrow before dosing again Dec 3. Only other med in the tank is copper.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed GC into a QT with a Carpenter's flasher and tail spot blenny yesterday morning. Within an hour the wrasse was swimming near the surface constantly which was unusual for him. I quickly added a power head that is pointed at the surface and within a few hours the wrasse was back to swimming around normally. Blenny never seemed affected. Wrasse has still eaten just fine and is acting normal today. Planning on a 25% water change tomorrow before dosing again Dec 3. Only other med in the tank is copper.
Did you dissolve all the powder in a cup before adding it to the QT? Or use a brine shrimp net to slowly express it into the water?

I'm always paranoid about a granule getting lodged inside a fish's gills or otherwise coming into contact with the fish, so I never dump powder medication directly into a QT. I've even gotten into the habit of mixing liquid medication with tank water before pouring it in, so it is diluted prior to entering the QT.

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you dissolve all the powder in a cup before adding it to the QT? Or use a brine shrimp net to slowly express it into the water?

I'm always paranoid about a granule getting lodged inside a fish's gills or otherwise coming into contact with the fish, so I never dump powder medication directly into a QT. I've even gotten into the habit of mixing liquid medication with tank water before pouring it in, so it is diluted prior to entering the QT.

Disolved it in a cup first. But thank you for checking.

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this isn't exactly on topic, but has there been any more research/ experimentation regarding treating wrasse with Chloroquine Phosphate?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this isn't exactly on topic, but has there been any more research/ experimentation regarding treating wrasse with Chloroquine Phosphate?

Not from me; however I will be setup to do major experimentation just after the holidays. I sort of took 2017 off. ;)

marcustan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I've not used API GC but dose Praziquatel and Metronidazole combo in all my QT. This is a 10 day -14 day regimen.

Dose of Prazi as per manufacturer's recommendation and Metronidazole (pharmaceutical grade) 100mg/10L.
Prazi is dosed D1 then redosed after 5 days with a 25% water change.
Metronidazole is dose every 48 hrs if there is white stringy poo present, 72 hrs for prophylaxis.
Very mild appetite suppression. No behaviour changes.

QT has only ambient room light, sponge filter, heater and power head.

I've have successfully use this combo with and without CP (15mg/L) on the following wrasses.

Cirrhilabrus isosceles
Cirrhilabrus rubrimarginatus x tonazukai
Cirrhilabrus lunatus
Cirrhilabrus lubbocki
Cirrhilabrus roseafascia (currently in QT)
Pseudocheilinus ocellatus

Cheers
M

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So.

Current round of quarantine - several fish from a LFS' Black Friday sale, followed by 48 hours of low temps due to an unnoticed heater failure. One (of three) ignitus? dispar? anthias and the exquisite wrasse developed obvious bacterial infections. Started dosing "the trifecta" of Furan-2, Metroplex and Kanaplex. Four days in, those two fish, plus the remaining male anthias had all passed. (The other anthias wasn't feeding, only hiding.) Remaining in the tank: One regal angelfish, young adult. One rosy-scales wrasse. One dispar? ignitus? anthias, female. One angulated (royal) flasher wrasse. All feeding well, acting normal, though the anthias is a bit slender. Dosed GC last night, in place of the Metroplex dose, to address the possibility of flukes.

Result: four apparently happy fish, including two wrasses - though they would like a nice water change, please.

Previous round of QT: Four fairy wrasses, all treated for internal parasites and external flukes, using General Cure.

~Bruce

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but I've not experimented on enough of them to feel comfortable recommending CP.

After the Holidays, I’m replacing the two fairies I lost in my current quarantine batch (died before I started medications). I’m going to try CP because I have no confidence in the dosage that comes out of the bottle of chelated copper, nor in the test kits to measure it. It makes for too stressful of a quarantine (too stressful for me). It’s a lot of work and at the end of the day, I’m left guessing at how much to add to overdose the parasites without overdosing my fish.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 43.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 115 35.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back