General Cure treatment

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Im dosing General cure by API for flukes. On the box it says wait 48 hours then dose again.

When reading online from other resources like Humble fish I see it says wait 5-7 days then re dose.

What is everyones dosing protocol for general cure ? I don’t want to apply more packets than needed on day X if I don’t need to. I have wrasse that are sensitive and doing fine.

also , do you usually keep skimmer on ?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im dosing General cure by API for flukes. On the box it says wait 48 hours then dose again.

When reading online from other resources like Humble fish I see it says wait 5-7 days then re dose.

What is everyones dosing protocol for general cure ? I don’t want to apply more packets than needed on day X if I don’t need to. I have wrasse that are sensitive and doing fine.

Yeah, the package is correct for the metronidazole it contains, but it is wrong for the praziquantel. Metro is often dosed every 48 hours to control protozoans, but the interval for praziquantel needs to be 8 days in order to break the life cycle of any fluke eggs - prazi doesn't kill fluke eggs, so you need to give them time to hatch and then try to kill those flukes before they have a chance to lay eggs of their own.

Same issue with trying to use General Cure orally - don't do it! The two drugs have two different oral dosages.

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

General cure has a low dosage of both praziquantel and metronizadole. It is not highly effective and I would recommend switching to PraziPro which is proven effective and is praziquantel.
manufacturer suggests 1 packet per 10 gallons for two days and is the one i would follow but again is a basic fluke treatment.
With Prazi pro, one application is good for 8 days and you will do a water change and apply one more application

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
General cure has a low dosage of both praziquantel and metronizadole. It is not highly effective and I would recommend switching to PraziPro which is proven effective and is praziquantel.
manufacturer suggests 1 packet per 10 gallons for two days and is the one i would follow but again is a basic fluke treatment.
With Prazi pro, one application is good for 8 days and you will do a water change and apply one more application
Why do you say it’s not highly effective ? The prazi dosage is low but from what I read it appropriate for sensitive fish like wrasse who do not do well with prazi.

You recommend folllowing the API 2 days then dose again on day 2 for flukes ?

I have a bottle of Prazipro but I also have had terrible results with Wrasses. I refrain from using it

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Yeah, the package is correct for the metronidazole it contains, but it is wrong for the praziquantel. Metro is often dosed every 48 hours to control protozoans, but the interval for praziquantel needs to be 8 days in order to break the life cycle of any fluke eggs - prazi doesn't kill fluke eggs, so you need to give them time to hatch and then try to kill those flukes before they have a chance to lay eggs of their own.

Same issue with trying to use General Cure orally - don't do it! The two drugs have two different oral dosages.

Jay
Thank you Jay. What about using a skimmer ? The water is getting dirty visibly I’m wondering about turning on skimmer during the prazi treatment

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Why do you say it’s not highly effective ? The prazi dosage is low but from what I read it appropriate for sensitive fish like wrasse who do not do well with prazi.

You recommend folllowing the API 2 days then dose again on day 2 for flukes ?

I have a bottle of Prazipro but I also have had terrible results with Wrasses. I refrain from using it
I ran an errand and see jay answered

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
If you do, take collection cup off for first 24 hours
taking the collection cup off helps oxygenate the water to assist with the meds. if i remember correctly. when i used prazi pro multiple times i never used a skimmer.
I see . So the point is I’m trying to pull some of the inorganics out . I can tell the water without carbon and skimmer is getting dirty and waiting another 8 days is doable but at what point of water quality for the fish. If I put the cup back on then the meds will obviously get pulled I’m assuming

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I see . So the point is I’m trying to pull some of the inorganics out . I can tell the water without carbon and skimmer is getting dirty and waiting another 8 days is doable but at what point of water quality for the fish. If I put the cup back on then the meds will obviously get pulled I’m assuming
Its the first 24 hours with cup off as prazi has a glycol agent which you dont want broken down too quickly. You can place cup back on next day

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Jay. What about using a skimmer ? The water is getting dirty visibly I’m wondering about turning on skimmer during the prazi treatment
You should run your skimmer, for the extra aeration, but don’t collect the skimmate because that will pull the prazi out.
Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back