General cure protocol

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry guys, I guess my search-fu sucks this weekend and I couldn’t find the answer so I’m just going to ask

My goby is coming out of copper into the fresh tank today, and I’m going to use GC instead of prazi since it’s double acting and doesn’t result in bacterial blooms.

From what I remember the protocol is basically-

2 rounds of GC, 5-7 days apart with a 25% WC 48 hours after each dose. Dosage as per insert, 1 packet to 10 gallons, knead the powder through some floss or a shrimp net into a cup of water than add to tank.

Is that still the method to use?

Cheers

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry guys, I guess my search-fu sucks this weekend and I couldn’t find the answer so I’m just going to ask

My goby is coming out of copper into the fresh tank today, and I’m going to use GC instead of prazi since it’s double acting and doesn’t result in bacterial blooms.

From what I remember the protocol is basically-

2 rounds of GC, 5-7 days apart with a 25% WC 48 hours after each dose. Dosage as per insert, 1 packet to 10 gallons, knead the powder through some floss or a shrimp net into a cup of water than add to tank.

Is that still the method to use?

Cheers
Yes, the only difference is you only need a water change between dose 1 and 2. I usually do the WC right before the second dose.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, thanks. The purpose of the water change to reduce the concentration of GC before second dose (presumably a half life and ‘remaining med’ issue) or something different like prazi with that carrier that bacteria just love?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, thanks. The purpose of the water change to reduce the concentration of GC before second dose (presumably a half life and ‘remaining med’ issue) or something different like prazi with that carrier that bacteria just love?
I think it's a precautionary reduction. To be 100% transparent, I have done two doses 7 days apart with zero water change.

DudeBruh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t want to hijack the thread but is there any running thread here linking GC to being reef safe. Corals, inverts, anemones.... etc. I’ve read online just feather dusters will suffer?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t want to hijack the thread but is there any running thread here linking GC to being reef safe. Corals, inverts, anemones.... etc. I’ve read online just feather dusters will suffer?
Prazipro is realitively DT safe. Corals may slime a bit, inverts aren't bothered. It may kill ornamental worms and feather dusters.

I would NOT use GC in a DT. It contains praziquantel and metronidazole. Metronidazole is NOT reef safe.

DudeBruh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazipro is realitively DT safe. Corals may slime a bit, inverts aren't bothered. It may kill ornamental worms and feather dusters.

I would NOT use GC in a DT. It contains praziquantel and metronidazole. Metronidazole is NOT reef safe.
Thank you for the clarity sir

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does that include if mixed with focus and added to food?
If bound to food with focus you can feed it to your DT. It may be a good idea to run carbon will doing so as a precaution.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 58 73.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back