General Kalkwasser Mechanism Questions

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kind of figured it was alot as I look at pictures of other reef tanks. Not sure why I am so lucky perhaps because I don't have much else in the tank to compete? It's a 150 tank but 75 sump so I'm estimating 180 total water volume.

I try to keep my alk between 9 and 10 but this is a combination of the kalk stirrer and manual dosing. Ph is between 8.4 and 8.5 after the manual dosing.
So, if that were my tank, I would take a razor blade to the back glass and then see if your kalk setup keeps up...unless you like the look of the pink back glass. Coralline is just such an alk sink.

You could also let the alk drift down to the 7-8 dKH range. That might help with the consumption also.

Are you going to keep any SPS?

NabberNate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for your advice. I'm not understanding why lowering alk would make a difference. Does my alk consumption increase at a higher alk level? Meaning it takes more alk to maintain 11 then say 9?

My goal is to do gsp, zoas and shrooms first. Xenia is doing well but I have enough purple! Probably no sticks. I don't know much about corals at all so I don't really have a plan. I like the Sun Corals but daily feeding not so sure.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not understanding why lowering alk would make a difference. Does my alk consumption increase at a higher alk level? Meaning it takes more alk to maintain 11 then say 9?
As far as abiotic precipitation (not from corals or coralline algae), that will increase when alk and pH (which is a function of CO2 and alk) are higher.

Consumption of alk by corals and algae can be higher when alk and pH are higher too.
Meaning it takes more alk to maintain 11 then say 9?
That can be true, yes.
My goal is to do gsp, zoas and shrooms first. Xenia is doing well but I have enough purple! Probably no sticks. I don't know much about corals at all so I don't really have a plan. I like the Sun Corals but daily feeding not so sure.
Nice. That's a good plan for people new to coral. Just be careful that you keep gsp and Xenia isolated, as they can take over the whole rock structure. Zoas can too, given enough time.

Anyway, about the dosing etc. Without many stony corals, personally I would continue dosing with kalk and not worry unless alk drops below 7. There are lots of ways to run a reef though.

NabberNate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always needed to have higher alk to get reasonable ph but since I just added an external air line to my skimmer and things are looking much better I should try lower alk levels. Thanks man!

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always needed to have higher alk to get reasonable ph but since I just added an external air line to my skimmer and things are looking much better I should try lower alk levels. Thanks man!
How are you liking the SCA 150 by the way? I'm strongly considering it as an "upgrade" to my standard 125.

NabberNate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do really like it and would not go pure rimless at this size. Eurobraced is the best of both worlds in my opinion.

If I had to do it all over I would do it different though. I would want to go 30" deep but then likely change to center internal overflow rather than external. Might even go 48" wide but for sure not 72". I would set up my sump with dual return pumps for redundancy as well.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back