General skimmer question..

Mattj815

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey

So I just recently got my tunze 9004 going on my nuvo 40. This is my first skimmer and still figuring it out. Been about 2 weeks and it was starting to pull out some tea colored water.

Well tonight I just put in the Innovative Marine caddy with the "purity pack" that comes with it. Which is basically carbon and gfo and some "cotton balls" that I havent seen before as filter. Well my skimmer started going nuts soon after and water.looked a little cloudy.

What would cause this? Carbon or gfo or both? Hoping the water clears up soon and im sure it will. I rinsed the packets before putting them in

Any ideas?

SEMA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very common for this to happen after adding filter media. The surface tension of water molecules change from adding cottony material. The carbon and gfo do need rinsed in RO water before adding so that's a good thing you should always do. The more you rinse, the less likelieness it will effect your skimmer. The cloudiness usually comes from microbubbles that evacuate the skimmer rapidly and won't harm anything.
When this happens to me, I usually remove collection cup to prevent overflow, and replace after 45min or more. Great time to clean it as well.. haha

OP
OP
M

Mattj815

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know. Thanks i actually wound up turning it all the way down to slow it and it looks like its skimming better this morning

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 171 67.6%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back