General suggested paramters for Acans?

Oceansize

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to corals in general and have recently added my first LPS, an Acan of some sort.

In general, what conditions do they thrive in?
What light intensity? High? Med? Low?
What substrate? (rocky or sandy?)
What flow level? Heavy? Med? Low?
Nutrients? (Nitrate or Phosphate levels?)

I would love to hear input from acan lovers out there who have happy acans. Thanks!

-Barry

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep mine on the sandbed low light and low flow. I have read placing them in the lower light helps them color up, but I am by far no expert with acans. I believe Shep is though. @Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep mine on the sandbed low light and low flow. I have read placing them in the lower light helps them color up, but I am by far no expert with acans. I believe Shep is though. @Shep
Haha I would not go that far, maybe just addict? :p

So acans like lower levels of light and flow but they can still do really will in medium flow and light. I would suggest starting them off in a shaded area on the bottom (sand or rock does not matter but on sand they will grow kind of in a ball like colony and on rock they will eventually grow out and on the rock) of your tank and moving them from there until they seem really happy (puffed up, showing good colors and tentacles coming out at night). For best health they do enjoy having some nutrients in the tank but you have to balance that with what else is in your tank and they can make do with lower levels, I would suggest spot feeding them to help them thrive. Feel free to PM me with more questions or post them here. also lets see a pic!!!!!!!

Also this is assuming its an acan lord

OP
OP
Oceansize

Oceansize

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
Wow, thanks so much for the authorative replies!

The frag is currently on the bottom, about 30" beneath two Kessil 360's at 80% intensity for 5 hours of a 12 hour program. I intend to do a mixed reef with SPS as well so rather than dial down the intensity, I think I will just move them to a shadier area. Not that I need to: after a month in this position it appears to be thriving. The 'tentacles' don't come out at night (the whole thing retracts tightly once the lights go out), but they do come out when I feed coral food in the late afternoon. Sometimes I target feed, sometimes I dose. Trying to see if it makes a difference.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 28 22.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 89 71.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.0%
Back