Generators for power outage

Manuel935

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know a good automatic generator that turns on automatically when the power goes off, I have the regular generator that is powered by gas and you turn on yourself but I wanted one for when I'm at work.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generac whole home generators are what most people use down here in FL but you are talking about a ton of money. Especially if you don’t have gas lines in your house. Back when I was looking about a decade ago it was going to cost me about 6k including the propane tank. I ended up just grabbing a portable 15,000 watt generator to run my whole house while I was home and then I got a small Honda inverter knockoff for a few hundred dollars that I leave running on the back porch for while I am at work to just run the tank. Only burns like a gallon of gas in 8hrs. The big generator is nice but it’s tough to keep gas in it during the hurricanes. Burns over a gallon an hour. I’d love the whole home but it wasn’t practical for me. If I was building a new house I’d probably either add one or solar though.

xabo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Expensive: Whole house generator.......Less Expensive: looking into incorporating a transfer switch for what you now have.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Expensive: Whole house generator.......Less Expensive: looking into incorporating a transfer switch for what you now have.

Agreed, transfer switch is a must. So nice to not have extension cords all over the place.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I paid a sizable sum for a whole house standby because I travel a lot for my job ...... make that, travelled!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You cannot use an automatic transfer switch on a portable .... for obvious reasons. Doesn’t really solve the away for work problem.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I paid a sizable sum for a whole house standby because I travel a lot for my job ...... make that, travelled!

I just did the same. With winters here in Minnesota, an aging power-grid and tornado season - it was a no brainer. I bought Generac 16k whole house gen. Granted it's a chunk of change, but I'm not going to have to add gasoline, run cables in the dead of winter.

Yea, I'm the same situation Re: travelled

Olefreebe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a portable generator from Generac I believe it's a 6500, I paid $750. I'm looking into a whole home generator. You can find one used between 1000 to 1500, new somewhere in the range of 5k. Installation will set you back around $1,500 for a certified electrician.
Please remember prices are relevant to your area and this is generic prices for Alabama.
For the record that piece of mind is priceless.

slojim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
battery back up for a power head might be a practical solution that allows your tank to stay safe until you get home from work. Somewhat climate/temperature dependent though.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generac or Kohler

Both are good and so are Briggs & Stratton. I opted for Generac - had best warranty 7 years, free maintenance for 3 years, built in wifi, & 200amp whole house automatic transfer switch.

Bob Loblaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generac 22KW here. Worth the expense to have AC in South Louisiana after a hurricane. Piece of mind the tank will be OK while on vacation is nice too.

ajjw0828

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were you I'd look at solar. A guy I know locally did this and he runs his whole (i think 500gallon, who knows when they're that big) SPS tank on it. Plus he powers his tv, modem/router and a few other things with it. He said it cut his power bill from like 500 a month to like 200 or something. Don't have to worry if power goes out since it's always hooked up to solar. This is the route I'm going to go. That way it automatically works if power goes out since it runs off of batteries charged by solar. And if its cloudy and not enough solar, batteries get charged by house electric. Now if solar doesnt work and power goes out then you could by time with the battery power until getting home to turn on generator to keep batteries charged. He runs radions, T5's, huge skimmer and all pumps off this setup. I'll see if I can find his link.

ajjw0828

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were you I'd look at solar. A guy I know locally did this and he runs his whole (i think 500gallon, who knows when they're that big) SPS tank on it. Plus he powers his tv, modem/router and a few other things with it. He said it cut his power bill from like 500 a month to like 200 or something. Don't have to worry if power goes out since it's always hooked up to solar. This is the route I'm going to go. That way it automatically works if power goes out since it runs off of batteries charged by solar. And if its cloudy and not enough solar, batteries get charged by house electric. Now if solar doesnt work and power goes out then you could by time with the battery power until getting home to turn on generator to keep batteries charged. He runs radions, T5's, huge skimmer and all pumps off this setup. I'll see if I can find his link.

And he said he runs six panels.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some areas when the electricity goes out they shut down your solar panels as well. Make sure you check that out first.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We also have a whole home Generac. We don't travel now but we plan to after we retire. And, I'm in health care, so if there is a major storm or other disaster there is a very good chance I'll get stuck at work.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Generac and Kohler.
I have a coleman which is a workhorse. Havent had to use it in over 2 years (shhh.,. . . storm on the way right now).

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back