Genicanthus…

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Joined
Sep 1, 2021
Messages
20,633
Reaction score
34,651
Location
United Kingdom (England)
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The title may be misleading, however I’m unsure what species this is. Would love for the experts to chime in, my LFS are some of the best people for ID that I know and none of us have looked at it and gone for a definitive species. So far all I’ve got in the ring are;
Genicanthus melanospilos
Genicanthus caudovittatus
Genicanthus hybrid

Would love to hear your opinions and @ the experts if you know of them :)
38DF3E72-DD40-4E2A-89AB-14647551B0B4.jpeg

AFE1488F-ECCD-4CEC-A17C-D7A2975B7807.jpeg
 
The title may be misleading, however I’m unsure what species this is. Would love for the experts to chime in, my LFS are some of the best people for ID that I know and none of us have looked at it and gone for a definitive species. So far all I’ve got in the ring are;
Genicanthus melanospilos
Genicanthus caudovittatus
Genicanthus hybrid

Would love to hear your opinions and @ the experts if you know of them :)
38DF3E72-DD40-4E2A-89AB-14647551B0B4.jpeg

AFE1488F-ECCD-4CEC-A17C-D7A2975B7807.jpeg
I believe yours is a mature female melanospilos. Zoo Basel in Switzerland documented that one of their females transitioned to male. They have a video on their site that shows their female which looks like yours just much older and their "new" male. Check it out and see what you think.

https://www.zoobasel.ch/en/aktuelle...eift-lyrakaiserfisch-wechselt-das-geschlecht/
 
Not sure if I have pics, but years ago I had a female Bellus angel transition to male colors… shortly after that a larger Lamarck female also changed to male, .Apparently that made the Bellus revert back to female, but the color pattern was very different from ‘normal’ Bellus females.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 15 39.5%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 7.9%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 13.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 7.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new