OP
OP
GeoHawk

GeoHawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I got a couple of cheap walmart fans for $6 for the canopy 2 days ago, and they are working great!
20130521_202435_zpsb62014ef.jpg

Pictures kind of funky because the T5s are on, or its got the light glare on the camera like the new startrek films. Yeah Im a geek.

OP
OP
GeoHawk

GeoHawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic from this morning.
20130608_100734_zpsf51aa3b6.jpg

Also, Having a bad cyano outbreak on right side tank only. Any great ideas on removal besides manual and nutrient export?

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that's some amazing growth!

How often and what do you feed?
Where do you maintain your no3/po4 levels?

OP
OP
GeoHawk

GeoHawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually keep things very simple. I have my controller that keeps Ca/ALK stable by dosing every 3 hours of each additive. I feed my fish a mixture of mysis, blood worms, rotifers, krill, and brine shrimp (all frozen). I buy a box once a year of frozen food from brineshrimp direct fairly cheap. I add kent marine coral vitae once every 1-2 weeks when I remember, and 2-3 drops of loguls a day when I remember. When colors start to fade some I do a water change, which seems to help color in my experience.

As far as to P04 and Nitrate. I aim to keep P04 at zero by using gfo reactor, but I usually have some. I haven't checked Nitrates in a long while. I know I have some of both, because I am constantly fighting algae problems, which plagues my sandbed and lower rocks. Doesn't seem to be affecting coral growth though.

Hope this helps. I believe that there are many ways to have success, just find what works for you and stick with it.

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. Do you feed every day?

Ive tried different methods of nutrients export like bio pellets, zeovit, it seems I always end up back running gfo/carbon. While those method work, each seem to have their downfall cyano outbreaks, pale colors, etc. I decided to just stick to the basics. You seem to have it dialed in, you have great growth and color.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks great!!

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your pulling out some great coors. I really like your pink lemonade.

OP
OP
GeoHawk

GeoHawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. Do you feed every day?

Ive tried different methods of nutrients export like bio pellets, zeovit, it seems I always end up back running gfo/carbon. While those method work, each seem to have their downfall cyano outbreaks, pale colors, etc. I decided to just stick to the basics. You seem to have it dialed in, you have great growth and color.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Thanks for the kind comments! I usually feed once a day. If I didnt always have some algae problems I would feed twice a day.

OP
OP
GeoHawk

GeoHawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thank and great growth. Very nicely done. Looks like you might need a bigger tanks!
I would love a bigger tank and more space, but I move too much. I also don't have the funds for a bigger tank. One day when I settle down somewhere I would like to get a 300+ gallon. with a sump in the basement or in a separate room.

OP
OP
GeoHawk

GeoHawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20131018_135420_zps9ce118fb.jpg

20131018_194115_zpsdfedca1f.jpg

Rocks fell down last night so I had to redo the rock works some. I think it turned out pretty nice though. My ballast went bad while I was gone last week as well, so I had to replace that today. Hopefully everything will be good while I am gone for another week.

Last edited:

Sahin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking as awesome as ever dude! I wish your camera wouldnt make the photos so blue; it hides most of the coral colours, but I know its there as it can be seen in some of the pics. DSLR for xmas?

OP
OP
GeoHawk

GeoHawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking as awesome as ever dude! I wish your camera wouldnt make the photos so blue; it hides most of the coral colours, but I know its there as it can be seen in some of the pics. DSLR for xmas?

Thanks!...Yeah its really frustrating to me too. I use my phone for pics and dont have funds for DSLR, but hopefully in the near future Ill be able to afford it or learn how to take better pics :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back