Geohawk's 60 gallon cube

GeoHawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20130928_104440_zpsbad1bd9b.jpg

I've been here for awhile and have never had a tank thread so I thought I would start one with some pictures I recently took.
20121105_203958.jpg

20121109_173843.jpg

20121109_174216.jpg

20121109_174113.jpg

20121109_173953.jpg

20121007_182455.jpg

20121007_182436.jpg

Tank Info
60 gallon cube display with 20 gallon sump
Lights: 250 watt MH, 2X24 watt Actinic
pumps: 2 vortech mp10's with backup battery
Skimmer:Vertex IN-80
RKL with 2 pc4 and SL1
Phosphate reactor
Carbon in a sock
2 BRS dosing pumps

Fish
True Percula
Potter's Wrasse
Cleaner Wrasse
Orchid Dottyback
Copperband Butterfly
Tailspot Blenny

Coral
SPS
ORA Hawkins
Green Granulosa
Green Slimer
ORA Red Planet
Tyree Pink Lemonade
CC Retina Blaster Suharsoni
CC Tricolor
Blue Green Tenuis
Red Dragon

LPS
Orange Plate
Sunset Scoly
Frog Spawn
Blue/Green Blastos

Zoas
Rastas
Red Hornets
Blue Hornets
Candy Apple Reds
Super Sunflowers
Sunny D's

Coral Growth Threads
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/general-sps-discussion/135757-blue-green-tenuis-growth-pictures.html
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/general-sps-discussion/103943-oceans-reefs-aquariums-red-planet-growth-pictures.html
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/general-sps-discussion/105071-oceans-reefs-aquariums-hawkins-grow-out-pics.html
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/ge...ink-lemonade-growth-pictures.html#post1642796

I would like to thank everyone at reef2reef for my success so far, because this is where I have gained most my knowledge since being in the hobby.

If you have any suggestions or comments I look forward to hearing them. I will be posting updates every once in awhile of my progress.

Last edited:

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful reef!! Thanks for sharing!

fort384

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent! Thanks for sharing. Those SPS colonies are BOSS.

Are you dosing 2 part with the perastaltic pumps? Can you tell us a bit about your dosing system (how much do you dose, what are your targets)? I recently put a 2 part on my system (about 6 weeks ago) and it has made a tremendous difference, but just curious as to others experiences with it.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice! Beautiful corals!

OP
OP
GeoHawk

GeoHawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent! Thanks for sharing. Those SPS colonies are BOSS.

Are you dosing 2 part with the perastaltic pumps? Can you tell us a bit about your dosing system (how much do you dose, what are your targets)? I recently put a 2 part on my system (about 6 weeks ago) and it has made a tremendous difference, but just curious as to others experiences with it.

Thanks for the kind comments!

Yeah I dose with the perastaltic pumps from BRS. I currently have my reefkeeper on for 2 min every hour and a half, and I have calcium and alk dosing 30 minutes apart so they are not at the same time. I think it works out to be about 35 ml per day or so. I check every week or so and boost as needed to keep around target, sometimes I will up the time on the reef keeper if I find it dropping to much.

My targets are
Ca 450 (I usually run between 425 and 475)
Alk 9 dkh(Usually runs between 8-11, but I try not to let this swing too much)
mg 1350 (Usually between 1325-1400)

I have found it helpful to keep track of values everytime I check using a notepad app on my phone that way I can see trends overtime, I also make notes in there about how much I add to boost it using the BRS calculator. I use another notepad on my phone for any maintenance like changing, water changes, carbon or phosphate remover changes. This way I know when the last time I changed something and I can see how that affects everything else.

Like you I love the 2 part with pumps it has made life easier and coral happier, I could never go back. I also dose 2 drops of loguls every day that I remember to try to boost the blues and greens.

Last edited:

ccreviston74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You the same Geohawk that was on Salt City a while back, before moving?

Sent from my Motorola Photon using Tapatalk 2

ccreviston74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup Im the same guy. How's KC?

Kc is good. Where you at now?

You wouldn't believe how big the frag of green birds nest of got from you has gotten - softball sized now. And eagle eyes have gone from 4-5 polyps to 20 +. Quality stuff.

OP
OP
GeoHawk

GeoHawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kc is good. Where you at now?

You wouldn't believe how big the frag of green birds nest of got from you has gotten - softball sized now. And eagle eyes have gone from 4-5 polyps to 20 +. Quality stuff.

Im in Trenton Mi for the next 2 to 6 years. So far we have liked it alot here. Im glad that the coral worked out so well for you. I often wonder how my frags do after I sell them. Its kind of fun too think about how I have sold frags in Utah, Missouri, and now Michigan and the possibility that those could now be colonies and people are fragging and sharing those. I really love my those eagle eyes, I don't know about you but I have never been able to find any eagle eyes that are brighter than those. That birdsnest is such a quick grower I got tired of cutting it back, beautiful green polyps though. Its good to hear from you.

ccreviston74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im in Trenton Mi for the next 2 to 6 years. So far we have liked it alot here. Im glad that the coral worked out so well for you. I often wonder how my frags do after I sell them. Its kind of fun too think about how I have sold frags in Utah, Missouri, and now Michigan and the possibility that those could now be colonies and people are fragging and sharing those. I really love my those eagle eyes, I don't know about you but I have never been able to find any eagle eyes that are brighter than those. That birdsnest is such a quick grower I got tired of cutting it back, beautiful green polyps though. Its good to hear from you.

Yeah, the eagle eyes are the best I've seen. Both them and the birds are starting to be spread around again. That serio does so well in my tank, I've added BOP and pink birds, and looking to try pocillopora and stylopora, since they're similar.

Green Slimer I got from you never took off under my LEDs, so I'm trading it and my other acro frags on to someone with Halides today.

Sahin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank mate! More photos please.

OP
OP
GeoHawk

GeoHawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took some top down photos this afternoon and thought I would share, since Sahin asked. I am not to experienced with top down down photos and I took these with my phone, but I think they turned out well.
20121118_190940.jpg

20121118_190929.jpg

20121118_191056.jpg

20121118_190847.jpg

20121118_190736.jpg

20121118_190639.jpg

20121118_190630.jpg

20121118_190552.jpg

20121118_191341.jpg

On a side note Ive got this nasty algae that I am dealing with in the lower levels of my tank. I think I am going to try some vit c dosing as a fellow reefer has suggested that it helped. https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/reef-aquarium-discussion/101333-nasty-algae-id-please.html I will post updates here if I decide to try it.

Last edited:

planereefer

Reefin' Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the most part my tank is currently doing really well. I do 20% water changes every 2 weeks. I always have some hair algae, bubble algae, a bright green algae, and some dark colored slime like algae on my rocks, but its not overtaking the tank.

I'll have to see if I can find it, but I think I remember reading something on americanreef about hair algae and its relation to Phosphate levels.

Here it is.....around the 12 minute mark.

Mike Paletta on Starting a Reef Tank - Part II of the LED Experimental Saltwater Tank - YouTube

OP
OP
GeoHawk

GeoHawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to see if I can find it, but I think I remember reading something on americanreef about hair algae and its relation to Phosphate levels.

Here it is.....around the 12 minute mark.

Mike Paletta on Starting a Reef Tank - Part II of the LED Experimental Saltwater Tank - YouTube

Thanks good video!! I just switched my gfo to the high capacity brs kind, and I got my first 0 phosphate reading on my Hannah checker in months. Hopefully I wont hurt my coral for having it too low. Im not sure if the brand switch made the difference or the increased amount in the reactor.

OP
OP
GeoHawk

GeoHawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20121121_180308.jpg

I picked up a red dragon frag from a local reefer last week, hopefully it will get some good growth.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back