Get rid of algae on tips

reefmaster70

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 24, 2025
Messages
995
Reaction score
473
Location
SW Wisconsin
What state or country do you live in
Wisconsin
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So I have this SPS frag in my tank, the bottom is colored up nicely, but the tips closest to light have hair algae growth. How should I remove the hair algae and what should I do with this frag? Dip in hydrogen peroxide or ??
PXL_20251021_233819873.jpg
 
Cut it back. You likely have high po4 since you have algae growing faster than the coral can.
 
peroxide would likely kill it, only the hardiest corals like zoa's and cloves should be dipped in peroxide IMO. Personally I would clip the top off.
 
Cut it back. You likely have high po4 since you have algae growing faster than the coral can.
you area correct, my PO4 is high...I started this tank with Pukani rock, and not knowing how much Pukani leaches phosphates back into the tank, so I am dosing NoPox, as well as running a reactor with Rowaphos in it. My po4 level on my last testing was .32. (Nitrates at 10) I am hoping to get my po4 down under .1 with the addition of Rowaphos, which I started a couple of days ago. the brown algae that grows on the glass currently grows back in about 2 days after I scrape it off.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new